Chapter Twenty-two

A set of identical grey eyes stared back at Satomi as she summoned her spear, the metal felt cold and reassuring in her hand. A wicked smirk spread across the child's face. As a reassurance Satomi placed a protection spell on Laxus' mind just in case their opponent also could use command. Judging from what she'd just said she was definitely her father's pawn.

"Who are you?" Laxus was the one to speak first, his tone already heated and angry. A chuckle sounded from the girl as she leapt from her spot on the wall and her black hair waved in the wind as she fell to the ground. Her feet barely made a sound as she landed a few metres away from them, Satomi placed herself between her and Laxus while staring at her coldly.

"Reaper isn't the right word for it and you know it" Satomi cut in before the child had the opportunity to say anything else. Worry grazed her features for a moment as she glanced at Laxus behind her. He met her gaze with an unreadable expression. Satomi's heart clenched at the situation, she had to tell him herself. Under different circumstances it might have been easier, but it couldn't be helped.

"Your question... The answer is complicated, and we don't have the time to go through it properly, but..." Her heart beat faster in her chest again as her eyes pinned to the child in front of her. She wanted to turn to look at him, to see if she was making him worried, if he'd be disgusted with her.

"My father is the god of death... He created me with the intention of using me as his personal mass murderer for his own amusement. I refuse to accept that role... I assume that is why you've come?" She'd never wanted to look at him as much as she did now. But if she turned her attention away even for half a second she knew that the child would use the opportunity to attack. The girl merely grinned back arrogantly, she didn't really need to answer the part that had been aimed at her.

"What?! You're joking?!" Laxus stared at her in shock, he'd certainly never expected that. Her words clanged through his mind like an echo. Something like that was insane, she was the daughter of a god? It did offer an explanation to her ridiculous powers. But how could the god of death even create life? How could someone as kind as her possibly have been created for a purpose like that? He stared at the back of her head dumbfounded, his thoughts seemed like they didn't want to make sense anymore.

Satomi's eyes burned with determination as she glared at the girl in front of them, the only answer she was able to give was a shake of the head. She wasn't joking. Suddenly he understood what she meant when she'd told him that the power of her command was inherited from her father. And back in Krokus she'd made an impossible recovery from her wounds, all the plants around them had died the same instant because she'd fed on their life. His gaze turned to the unfamiliar girl, understanding why his mate was so guarded. If she'd been sent by the same man, she was probably extremely dangerous, despite her small appearance.

"You should praise yourself lucky to have grown up in this world. Our father's wrath when he discovered your disobedient nature was far from pleasant" Shock flashed through Satomi's mind as she took in what she'd just been told. Their father? Her grip on her weapon hardened.

"What did you say?" A roaring blast of black magic came rushing at them at a raging speed before the words had even left Satomi properly. It was easily deflected by her barrier, but it did nothing to soothe the unease in her gut. A test shot, to see if she had any gaps in her defense. Satomi's barrier was perfect, and despite the fact that the blast had been powerful enough to shake the ground, it didn't face her in the slightest.

"So you didn't realise on your own? So disappointing... What's the word for it in this world?.... Sister, am I right?" Satomi gritted her teeth furiously, he'd managed to do it again? Was the person standing in front of her really her sister? What kind of torture had she been put through at such a young age? Laxus decided to step up beside Satomi, he wasn't going to just stand back and watch her put herself in harms way. Satomi resisted the urge to glance at him, even though he stood too close for her liking. Her self-proclaimed sister stared back at them with calm, unfeeling eyes. Could she be reasoned with? Judging from her previous statement Satomi could only assume that she'd been raised by their father. This wasn't her world, and if being twisted and manipulated by her father was all the child knew, any plea would fall to deaf ears.