Chapter twentyone.

Despite Satomi's promise that they'd discuss the situation regarding her father, she continued to avoid the subject every time Laxus tried to bring it up. It was starting to annoy him and Satomi knew it. To her it felt like being pushed into a corner every time she thought about it, or the subject was mentioned. She'd opt to not answer, or give a vauge, unrelated reply. She hadn't been able to sleep since the attack, even though it was already two days ago, they kept moving further away from the village and any known settlement for each day. Satomi refused to share why, or where they were going. 

Judging from the way she easily guided them through the woods, and that they never saw any trails and roads it seemed like she knew the area. Yesterday they'd managed to hunt a boar, which would keep them well fed for at least a few days. The female's skills at finding edible herbs, nuts and fruit in the woods were impressive. Even as they traveled she continued to collect stuff they came across. She didn't speak unless Laxus tried to ask her something, and even then he might be met with silence. It bothered him that she was so reluctant to indulge his questions. Her past might be one thing, but he did in the very least deserve a better explanation to what was going on. It seemed like she had a much better understanding of it than he did. 

They'd just come across a colony of mushrooms, and Satomi was busy collecting them when she heard a noise a few feet further up the hill. Her head snapped in the direction, scanning the area warily before glancing at Laxus. He didn't seem to have noticed it and leaned against the tree next to her recent catch. Her attention turned back to the area where she'd heard the sound, keeping her eyes on it as she finished putting the last mushrooms in her satchel. Without a word she began moving towards it, still crouched close to the ground in case it turned out to be an ambush. Laxus noticed her new direction and immideately knew she'd sensed something, he didn't speak as he followed her. With a weak gush her magic scanned the area, but she found nothing. Even so she continued in the same direction, she straightened her posture slightly as she pushed the branches of a bush to the side. It revealed a fox laying on the forest floor, the shapeshifter frowned at it's still form. It had an injury in its gut which was obviously infected and still bleeding. Laxus let out a barely audible sigh of relief as Satomi went to crouch next to the animal, it wasn't breathing but it's body was still warm. It's fur felt soft against her skin as she stroked her hand over it, a sad expression came over her face as she wondered what had happened to it. 

A determined expression came over her features as she settled her posture, moving her other hand to hover above the body as well. If it had just passed then she might be able to heal its wounds and lure the soul back to it's body. Laxus watched her with a confused frown, and she shut out the now familiar feeling of the weight of his gaze. Warmth filled her body as her magic flowed from her hands and onto the still form on the ground. She closed her eyes in consentration, searching the area for the soul, hoping it hadn't already dissolved. Healing the body only took a moment, but she still kept her magic tethered to it as she called out with her mind. Come. If you still wish to continue your journey, come to me. Your life is right here. Hopefully it would still listen, and wasn't too far away. Judging from the look and feel of the fox's body it was still very young, perhaps only a year old, and still had so much more potential life. Nothing happened, a dissapointed sigh escaped her as she assumed she'd been to late. She'd hoped that the sound she heard had been it's last breath, and if that was the case it wouldn't be to late, but it seemed like it was. She was about to stop the spell when a weak presence called out. It was far away, but it was definetly the spirit she'd been looking for. Come here. She called again urgently, reaching her magic further,  she'd have to finish this fast for her own sake as well. The fox followed her call and came rushing through the forest. It could probably feel it's essence begining to fade from this world and was terrified. In it's panicked hope it ended up crashing into Satomi's body instead and she jerked from the feeling of another foreign presense inside her. The movement chaught Laxus' attention and he crouched beside her worried, but as she smiled and chuckled he understood that nothing was wrong.