two

r e i g n

$

"Girl, what was you doin' sittin' with Armani's fine ass?!" Chin asked me as she shut her bedroom door behind us.

I walked over to the bed and sat next to Monroe, "I literally just met him, 'ion know that man- and aren't you taken? Talkin' bout he foiiine." I jokingly exaggerated as Monroe and I laughed.

Chin rolled her eyes and jumped on the bed, "bitch I'm taken, not blind. That boy has no business being that good looking." She expressed.

Monroe scoffed and eyed her, "oh yea? So why you ain't with him instead?" She giggled. Chin dramatically gasped and picked up a pillow to throw at her.

I've been friends with Chin and Monroe since childhood. We grew up in the projects together, went to elementary, middle school, and high school together, and made it out the projects together. We've been calling Shania by her nickname "Chin" since we were kids, given by her father in reference to her chinky eyes and half Asian ethnicity.

She met her boyfriend Nathan, better know as Puff, back in high school. That was also where I met my man Kaydence, or Killah as everyone calls him. Killah and I's relationship wasn't perfect and we didn't have the romantic relationship women yearned for, but the love we had for each other throughout all these years was real. He was my first everything. First kiss, first sexual experience, first person I ever smoked my first joint with. He loved me for who I was and vice versa. People looked at us as the hood Bonnie and Clyde right next to Puff and Chin.

I wasn't as boujie and spoiled as Chin was though, and Killah thanked the good lord for that every single day. He showers me with everything I have because he felt like I deserved those things, not because I begged for them. Killah's a good man despite what a lot of people think about him, including our parents. My parents kicked me out of their house after they found a whole bunch of drugs, guns, and money I had hidden in my room one day. But I wasn't phased by it, I was already in the process of getting my own place with Kaydence when that shit happened anyways. One thing that did piss me off however, was that they allowed my twin brother Ramiro to still live there when he was doing the exact same shit as me. Him and Kaydence are best friends for crying out loud. Shit made no sense.

"When you and Puff getting married?! I'm ready to be somebody's bridesmaid." Monroe asked Chin as she laid herself down on the bed.

"Ugh girl, I have no clue. Been with the nigga since we was 17 and he still ain't tryna pop the question." Chin huffed and sprawled out beside Monroe.

"Maybe he's not ready, yet." I added.

"Oh please! He's more than ready. He got this big ass crib and all the money in the world, it's not like we broke. Plus I'm waaay too good of a girlfriend to be waiting this long. Y'all know all the shit I've done for him." She expressed as she stared up at the ceiling.

"I know, I know. But that doesn't mean he's ready. He needs to be in the right mind to do something like that. He can have all the money in the world and you can be a down ass chick for him as long as you please. But if he's mentally not ready to get married, then girl, don't force it. Marriage is a big step, and both of you still have some growing up to do. I'll be damned if I watch my best friend get married just to end up getting divorced over some fuck shit." I explained.

Monroe and Chin both sat up giving me a look. "Well ok then... talk yo shit, Oprah. Kaydence shoulda been married yo ass with the way you speaking right now." Monroe chuckled.

"Right?! Over here schooling me and shit." Chin added.

I kissed my teeth and playfully rolled my eyes, "whatever. Y'all know K ain't on that shit right now. We good. All of that will happen when the time's right."

Chin sighed and leaned back against the headboard. "Do y'all ever wonder what life would've been like if we was... you know... like regular?" She asked.

"We are regular. We hustle and get money just like regular people." Monroe replied nonchalantly causing me to chuckle.

"No, I mean like... after high school. How it would've been like if we didn't get into the game and went to college. Or if we didn't move out the projects-"

"Girl, please don't remind me of those days." I grunted distastefully.

Chin giggled and jokingly nudged me with her leg, "aight but what about college? Have y'all ever thought about going? I know we're in our mid twenties now and we'd probably be the oldest ones in the class but y'all ever think about it sometimes?"

"Not really. I mean, I see what them HBCUs look like on tv and stuff. Looks fun as hell to be honest, but I haven't thought of actually going or what major I would even go for." Monroe responded.

"Well, I know what I would go for!" Chin exclaimed and excitedly hopped out of the bed. "Fashion designing!" She gave a dramatic model pose.

"Oh that's dope! I could definitely see you doing that. Always tryna style everyone who walks past you." I released a soft laugh.

"What about you, Reign? Ever thought about trying it out?" Chin asked.

I sighed and shook my head, "honestly.. no. It does sound cool and all, and I guess it's better than the shit we're doing right now. But like Monroe said, I wouldn't even know what major I would go there for." I answered and shrugged.

She walked over to her night stand and grabbed her reading glasses. "You should go be a philosopher, since you wanted to school a bitch just now on that marriage shit!" She exaggerated as she put on her reading glasses.

"Hello, class. My name is Ms. Reign Murray, and I am a smart ass." Monroe and I bursted out laughing at Chin mocking me in a British accent.

"Girl fuck you!" I exclaimed while trying to control my laughter.

Back in high school, I did have plans on going to college. But when Kaydence and I finally got together, he introduced me to the drug game. It's a very unsafe world, no doubt, but K makes sure I'm protected at all times. I have a love/hate relationship with this life. I hated it because I always had to watch my back. I couldn't get too comfortable knowing that shit could go left at any given moment. But I loved it because the money was always pouring in. Not little hundreds here and there, I'm talking about thousands. I was able to get anything I wanted and I could pay my bills without any worries. It was addicting but risky. But I grew up with nothing and Kaydence put me on to this life to ensure that I would never have to go back to that.

So as far as college? I don't really know if I'd ever take it into consideration again. I know I'm smart and capable of getting through that shit easily just the way I did high school. But my life right now is all I've ever known since I was 18. And I wasn't about to stop my hustle for anything or anyone.

-