fourteen

r e i g n

$

"Woooo! This my shit right here!" I turned up the volume on the radio as I drove home from being dropped off at Chin's by Armani.

"Can I kick it? YES YOU CAN! Can I kick it? YES YOU CAN!" I began rapping loud as fuck with A Tribe Called Quest blasting through the speakers. I honestly needed to keep myself awake before I ended up falling asleep behind the wheel. 'Ion know why the hell I smoked that strong ass shit with Armani and Chin.

"CAN I KICK IT? TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO CAN QUEST LIKE A TRIBE DOES. BEFORE THIS DID YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT LIVE WAS-" My pager started going off. I kissed my teeth and took a quick look at it to see who it was.

It was Ramiro paging me for the ten thousandth fucking time since I left Chin's driveway. I rolled my eyes and threw it in the passenger's seat.

"Nigga never pages or calls me but wants to start now when my shit's on the radio." I mumbled to myself as I made a left turn at the traffic light.

When I finally reached my driveway, I noticed Ramiro's car parked. "Damn bro, you miss me that much?" I chuckled to myself.

I hopped out my car and grabbed my stuffed monkey prize. I opened up the house door and Ramiro was sitting on the couch in the living room with Monroe and Kaydence. Chronic ran up to me and started barking loudly as he jumped up and down. "Hi my precious little baby! Look what mommy won." I cooed at him while I showed him my prize.

"Hey y'all." I smiled and walked into the living room. "I whooped Armani's ass in some basketball game today! But of course I wouldn't be this skilled if it wasn't for my KK." I giggled and winked at Kaydence.

He gave me a faint smile and remained silent. My smile faded once I noticed that all three of them seemed to be a bit off. "What's wrong?" I furrowed my eyebrows. I glanced at Ramiro who looked like he had been crying.

"Meero, what happened?!" I raised the tone in my voice. He looked up at me and immediately started crying. "D-dad. He's-"

"No."
I dropped the stuffed monkey and started shaking my head in disbelief.

"Reign.."
Kaydence got up from the couch and approached me.

"No, no..."
All of a sudden I couldn't control my breathing, it was like I was about to have a panic attack.

"Reign breathe!" Monroe quickly shot up from the couch and ran over to me and Kaydence. They both tried to calm me down but I started feeling sick to my stomach. My mouth began to water and I could feel all the junk I ate earlier at the amusement park forcing its way up.

I covered my mouth and bolted to the bathroom.
I was in shock. My father was dead. I was so angry at him and my mother for all these years and now he's gone. Before all of this, I was a huge daddy's girl. I was his little princess and I know it hurt him a lot to see what I grew up to be.

"Reign, you okay?" Monroe came into the bathroom. She sat down next to me on the floor and gently rubbed my back while I breathed heavily over the toilet, waiting for another load of disgustingness to release from my mouth.

"I'm such a terrible daughter, Roe." I whimpered as my voice cracked.

"Don't say that, Reign. Your father loved you regardless of what happened between you and your parents." She said softly.

A shaky sigh escaped from my mouth and I sat with my back against the wall while Monroe sat in front of me. "How could I just go 8 years without speaking to my own father? What the hell is wrong me-"

"Nothing!" Monroe grabbed my hands. "Reign listen to me. You are a beautiful, strong, and extremely intelligent woman and your father knew that. Yes, you may have not gone down the path that he and your mother wanted you to, but you are still their baby girl. You and Ramiro are their only kids, they will always love you no matter what. Your dad is looking down on you right now and he's happy. Happy to see that you are still alive and well."

I sniffled and closed my eyes as I rested the back of my head on the wall. "Remember when he taught us how to ride our two-wheeler bikes? We were so happy to get off them fucking training wheels." I softly chuckled.

Monroe smiled and nodded. "Yea, and Ramiro was so mad he couldn't get it he went and threw his bike in the dumpster. Your dad wanted to fucking murder him talkin' bout Do YoU kNoW HOw MuCH thAt FuCKiNG BiKE COSt ME BoY?!" We both laughed at her imitation of my father.

"And then he went and chased his ass down for 5 blocks." I shook my head. "Those were the days man."

Monroe moved herself beside me and threw her arm around my shoulders. "Cherish those memories forever, Reign. Let the hurt go. I know it's been hard, but your mom needs you now. Promise me you'll go see her and you guys will talk it out?"

I looked at her and nodded. "I promise." I responded softly and we embraced in a hug.

"Thank you, Roe."

"I gotchu, mamas."

"Only I can call her that."
We broke our hug and looked at the door to see Kaydence standing there with a soft grin on his face.

Ramiro popped up behind him with Chronic and the three joined us on the bathroom floor as we reminisced on all of the good and funny memories of my dad for the rest of the night.

-