sixteen

t r e m a i n e

$

"Keep the change, beautiful." I smirked and winked at the cashier.

I was out buying some new clothes and kicks because why? Because a playa mothafuckin' deserves it. I work way too hard to not enjoy my damn royalties.

"Tremaine Vince?" A voice called out from behind me as I headed out to my car.

I stopped walking and turned. "Who's asking?" I raised an eyebrow at the two men standing in front of me.

"Detective James. This is my partner Detective Wilks." They quickly presented their badges. "We'd like to bring you in for questioning on the disappearance of a young man by the name of Dwayne Carter."

I mentally rolled my eyes. "Why?" I looked him up and down.

"You were last seen with him on surveillance footage at a corner store. So we'd just like to ask you a few questions that's all."

Fuck.

I deeply sighed and rolled my eyes. "Aight man." I said and left the parking lot with the two detectives.

When we got to the police station, they escorted me to the interrogation room and I took a seat at the table. I can't lie and say I wasn't nervous, because I was. But I knew exactly how to pull this shit off.

"Alright Mr. Vince, ready to begin?" Detective James asked me and I nodded. He started his recorder and both detectives proceeded with their questions.

"Where were you on April 3rd, 1994 at approximately 7:30pm?"

"I was at that corner store."

"Doing what?"

"Buyin' some snacks and cigarettes."

"Did you also meet up with Dwayne Carter on the same day?"

"I don't recall."

Detective Wilks walked over to the television and turned it on. He inserted a tape and fast forwarded the video to where I was seen with Dwayne and paused it.

"Is that you?" He pointed to the screen.

"Yes."

"And is that Dwayne?"

"You askin' obvio- yes."

"How do you know him?"

"I don't recall."

"How long have you known him?"

"I don't recall."

"You were seen leaving with Dwayne in your vehicle. Where were you guys going?"

"I don't recall."

"Was that the last time you saw Dwayne?"

"I don't recall."

"Was Dwayne part of a gang?"

"Ion know his personal life like that."

"Are you part of a gang?"

"You askin' this 'cause we black?"

"Hey- I'm doing the questioning here buddy!" Detective James slammed his hands on the table and stood up. I looked at the two of them and started laughing at how funny this whole shit's become.

"Y'all finished? I got some food I wanna eat and a bitch I'm tryna fuck

"Y'all finished? I got some food I wanna eat and a bitch I'm tryna fuck."

They glanced at each other then back at me and Detective James angrily grunted. "Get him outta here." He waved me off and Detective Wilks yanked me out of my seat.

Stupid mothafuckas.

These bitch ass cops, officers, detectives... whatever the fuck, ain't never tryna let us niggas live. Even with little to no evidence, they still try to find a way to fuck with us. Well not me, mothafucka.

I ain't the one.

-