⁰¹¹ | fire and smoke⚠

*Kim Taehyung*

⚠️Content warning: the following content may be disturbing to some audience. Reader discretion is advised. Read at your own risk. ⚠️

I sat reading the case papers of the store room murder when Irene slipped a hand around my neck.

I quickly closed the flap of my laptop, removed my glasses as I massaged my nose bridge and wheeled my chair around to hug her waist.

She ran her fingers through my hair and then lifted my face to look at me with eyes full of concern.

"Won't you come to bed tonight?" She whispered. I exhaled noisily as I lowered my gaze and resumed hugging her waist.

My heart was breaking. I felt so horrible for y/n. The pain she had gone through and the pain she must be going through. I couldn't even imagine.

"I'll join you in some time." I told Irene, but she tightened her grip over the locks of my hair. "Taehyung, it's been over 5 months now. This is too much, don't you agree?"

"I just have to work over something." I pulled back and stared into her eyes. "You do know I love you, right? Please be patient with me."

She just turned on her heels and left without a word. I knew she was growing fed up of me, but I had to crack this case.
I had to get to the bottom of this, otherwise I would never be able to sleep a wink of peace.

I turned to my laptop and opened my flap.

"Taehyung." She called, "Just make sure you don't lose me on the way."

My hands were cold and sweaty as I slowly turned my head to the source of her voice. She was stirring something in the wok, in the kitchen. "Work may come and go-"

I got up. I had to have her convinced, otherwise she wouldn't let me live in peace. As soon as she saw me coming, she stopped stirring and left the ladle on the counter to retrieve a rack of eggs from the fridge.

The kitchen was now consumed in silence.

I stood by the door and stared at her. She knew she was getting on my nerves. She wouldn't let me work and she wouldn't give me what I want. And when she wanted me to make love to her, I just couldn't.

Even if she was my wife.

I just couldn't give her the attention and my mind just wandered back to my clients and their sorrows.

This job was what I was married to and I had no other way to put it. Irene knew that.

"You-you want eggs?" She asked in a low unconfident voice as she averted my gaze and cracked one.

"No." I said thickly. "I want you. Now." I was good at lying. She gulped as she backed on the kitchen counter and tried to smile. Her fake smiles were not convincing me. My expertise was psychology. Body language.

She thought she had me fooled, but I always knew what was going through her mind.

And what was going through her mind, you ask?