⁰¹² | saviour

"You saved her life. You don't have to involve yourself with her anymore. What use is there running to the hospital?"

I didn't pay attention to Irene pleading with me as I packed my laptop in my office bag and straightened my tie.

She didn't see what I had seen. The arm.
The blood on the grass.

The man watching from the shadows from behind the house.

Something had definitely happened there, and if that girl needed justice for anything..

I had to be there.

I don't know why I felt so sympathetic towards her, but I knew I had some connection with her.

Also, the neighbor was odd. I had to find out things about him too.

I turned to her worried face and pressed the pad of my thumbs on her eyebrows and then dragged them outwardly to straighten her brows out.

"Relax, baby. I'll be home in no time."

"But, Taehyung-" she protested, "That incident ruined our anniversary. Can't we at least have this day to ourselves? You'll be leaving for your trip again tomorrow."

"Irene." I sighed as I looked up at her, "Stop worrying otherwise I'll leave you unable to stand for days."

Her worried expression melted into an amused one instantly. "What kind of nonsense is that?" She laughed, "I don't know which of it I'm tempted by."

"Figure it out by the time I come back." I quickly kissed her and ran out of the house before she could grab my blazer and stop me any further.

105.

I entered the hospital ward and saw the girl lying there, just plainly. Her arms pinned to her side, her eyes fixed on the ceiling.

As soon as she saw me come, she tried sitting up.

"Don't bother." I told her, "Are you hurt anywhere?" I took the seat by her side.

She shook her head. "You saved us right on time. How's my brother?" She asked feebly.

"He's doing pretty well. Better than you, actually. Turns out we have the same favourite avenger." I told her and she smiled weakly.

"Where are your parents?" I asked.

Her eyes suddenly saddened. She averted my gaze as she looked at the ceiling.

"Dead."

"What?"

"They died in the fire."

"No, they didn't. Nobody was found in the fire. Aside from you and your brother, of course."

Her eyes quickly went wide as she turned them to me with surprise. "What do you mean?"