Roses and Dragons

Depiction of Sofia's tattoo

Depiction of Lana's tattoos

"And what time do you call this?" Sofia asked softly, smiling lightly in jest.

"Ummmm... 7:06?" I tried, and she rolled her eyes, murmuring

"Hmmmm." In a voice which made me literally shiver, even though I swore it was 90 degrees in here. As I neared her desk, I was able to glimpse that tattoo I recalled noticing yesterday in more detail. The intricacy was impressive, and the colours were beautiful. I took the opportunity to study it fully as I sat down, because she was looking at her computer screen. The pattern didn't end where her sleeve did, and so I assumed it went further up her arm. though it was large, her arm wasn't entirely inked so I wouldn't call it a sleeve tattoo. The main colours were fiery, reds and oranges mixed with black, and the design edges were incredibly crisp. The body of a lithe dragon was wrapped around a majestic rose, and it's wings spiralled up and disappeared under her sleeve. The fact this woman even had a tattoo shocked me, and I was so intrigued I wanted to know all the reasons and stories behind it.

"That's a sick tat, mind telling me where I can get one?" I was feeling confident this morning, any awkwardness from yesterday's disagreement had been erased. She pulled her eyes away from her computer screen and looked down at it, moving her arm so the light shined off it. 

"I decided to get it after a scar I had didn't heal right. I didn't like the way it looked, so I covered it with art, but I can still feel where it was." Without thinking, I extended my fingers and gently brushed the slightly raised section in the centre of the rose, tracing up and down the length in an absent minded way. I didn't realise what I was doing fully until I looked up and she was staring at me intently. She wasn't shocked, and she didn't pull away, she just seemed confused, like my behaviour didn't match the little fact file she had put together for me in her head. I retracted my hand hastily and she shook herself before she spoke again.