Chapter 18

Knocking on the door, only opening it after the muffled come in. Orion didn't even glance up as he worked on paperwork. The room obviously empty of Haldis.

"I thought you pulled Haldis into your office earlier." Bothered that the person I was searching for wasn't here.

He glanced up briefly, returning to his work not a moment later, "I did. But that was an hour ago." He marked up one of the papers.

"Do you know where he went?" I rubbed my eyes. If I don't find him soon I might as well go take a nap. My bed was starting to call me name.

He sighed and placed his pen down. Signaling I had his full attention, "He said something about needing to get something from the village. I don't know if he is still there." He made a shooting motion. Kicking me out of the office so he could get back to work.

Leaving I call over my shoulder, "Thanks, Orion." He made a humming noise as I closed the door behind me. Making sure it clicked shut.

As the town was a short walk away I didn't feel the need to call for Jasper. The vendors were busier than normal today as I pushed through the crowds. As I had yet to receive my day flower I figured I would check the flower vendor.

Approaching the shop I could spot a familiar figure standing in front of it, a bunch of flowers in his hand. A female figure standing within his personal space. When I got closer the sight happening in front of me broke my heart.

Haldis stood there kissing another woman. It felt as though a heavy weight was sitting on my chest, my heart throbbing as I couldn't breathe. Taking several steps back as I shook my head, wheeling around to run home as fast as my legs could carry me. Never looking back.

The thick fall of tears blurred my vision as I angrily wiped at my eyes. Not able to see correctly I let my muscle carry me to my destination. Running into a hard chest, an arm wrapping around my waist just as I was about to fall.

My brother's face blurrily coming view, "What happened?" The softness of his features melting away and replaced with a battle ready hardness. Footsteps echoing behind him, as the figures of Ursa and Fig run into my limited vision.

Leaning around him to confront one of my best friends, "Are you happy now? This is why I didn't want to start a courtship. One that you practically pushed me into." Ursa flinched as I spat angrily. "I found him kissing another woman." I wailed as I buried my head in my brother's chest.

Fig and Ursa gasped, closing the distance between us. "I am so sorry. I—I" Ursa stuttered until my brother cut her off my grabbing her wrist to keep her from touching my shoulder.

"Save it, Ursa. Leave my sister be." He flung her limb away. While he pulled me in the opposite direction. Rin steering us to where Jasper usually waited for his afternoon flight.

"Ashalle, listen to me. Don't stop for anything. Head to our secret hideaway and don't move until I come to fetch you. He won't find you there. Are you listening?" I nodded while scrubbing at my eyes to clear them as best as I could. He wrapped me in a hug, "I have your back, little sister. Stay safe." Kissing my hair and helping me climb up into the saddle by lifting my waist.

He backed off a few paces while waving as Jasper took off into the sky. I clutched at his neck as my sobs returned, freezing tear tracks turning white, glistening like snow from being chilled in the air. "To the sno—snowy hid—hideout, Jasper." Instructing him where to go and letting him take care of the rest as I tried to shut off my feelings.

I knew entering into the courtship would end like this. Why didn't I follow my head instead of my heart? I wasn't someone who deserved a life companion. I was already on a death sentence unless I got that operation, so it was only a matter of time until death took me. Why would Haldis want to spend his life with a person who was destined to die?