Chapter 10

Chapter 10 Devil

With Tsukiyama's nose leading us, we ran to the top of the building and came across a boy with white hair facing against Noro. Right when the kid was going to charge at him, Yomo came up behind him and stopped him.

"Kaneki..." Yomo called to him.

The boy snapped out of his daze and looked toward us. His face went from crazy to sorrowful. Uta walked over to him, took off his cloak and placed it around him. The three men walked in front of us as they were preparing to fight Noro.

"Kaneki, are you alright?" I knelt in front of him.

"Gumi, you're speaking again." he smiled.

"I broke out from my nightmare." I looked at his hands and examined his fingers. "You sure heal pretty quickly. Are...are you still in there?"

"What?"

"Your mind. Are you the same Kaneki that I met? I mean, you look...different since the last time I saw you."

"Don't worry, I'm... still me." he said in a dead manner.

"Banjou and Kei, did they get away? I really want to thank Kei for helping me that day. I owe you guys a lot."

Kaneki looked down to the floor and closed his eyes tightly.

"Gumi...Kei's not coming back..." He sniffled.

"What? No...that's...that's wrong. Banjou?! Is he...?"

"Don't worry he's still alive. He's probably already out of the building." Seeing how upset I was, he cleared his throat and tried to change the topic. "Where's Noboru?"

I took in a deep breath and rubbed in my temples. The words to describe the scene just flew out of my head, leaving it empty. That seemed like the right word to describe how I feel. Empty.

Once I raised my eyes, Noro had picked up a body, left a something on the floor and felt us.

"Noro!" I called to him but it was too late, he already jumped down.

Yomo came over to us and announced that it was time to go. As we were heading back, I walked behind Tsukiyama and observed Kaneki. He seemed more depressing and dead inside, which I don't blame him for it. However, I will miss his smile if he stays that way forever.

"Ka-Kaneki..." I hesitated.

He turned his head to look at me. I was curious to know what happened to him but I felt that it would only eat him alive and then he'll never heal.

"I...just wanted to know if...you're okay."

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just a bit tired." he replied with his same blank stare.

Was this sweet natured boy gone for good? Or was this a phase from the trauma he suffered?

Hidden in the woods by the building was Banjou's and the Yomo's group. As everyone chatted, I looked at the building watching the doves take control of it.

"I'm not going back to Anteiku." I heard Kaneki say once everyone grew quiet.

I looked back and noticed the barista girl standing in front of him. From the look in her eyes I knew how upset she was about the recent news. Once Banjou decided to join him, I was surprised to see Tsukiyama step up as well.

"Gumi, what will you do?" Banjou asked me. Both Tsukiyama and Kaneki looked over to me.

"I...I have nothing once again. Noboru died and now.... I'm losing Tsukiyama as well." I looked down at my feet and twiddled my thumbs, trying to think of an answer.

"I'm not leaving forever, Megumi. You can join us if you want." Tsukiyama got up from the ground and patted my shoulder. "Destroy those who destroyed your partner."

"Well, if you guys are getting back at the Aogiri Tree then I'm coming too."

"Glad to see that you're on board." Banjou high fived me.

The barista, Touka came up and said that she was coming with us. At first I was going to walk over and welcome her in but then Tsukiyama held me back and Kaneki stepped in front of me.

"Touka, you still to study to get into a university, don't you?" he said.

I opened my mouth to say something but then Tsukiyama covered my face.

"Get off." I shoved his hand away. As I watched Kaneki break, Touka's heart I looked over to Tsukiyama to see his reaction.

"Tsukiyama, what's going on?" I whispered

"It's called putting your loved ones first. I don't think you quite understand that yet. In time you'll learn." he whispered back.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I hissed.

When I looked back at the two, the last thing I saw was Touka running off. Even though I wanted to drag her back here and smack Kaneki for making her cry inside, I felt that it wasn't my place to do so. Tsukiyama was right about me not understanding but still I couldn't help but feel bad for them.

Kaneki said farewell to the rest of the Anteiku members and turned back to us.

"Come on guys, let's head out." he said with a weary smile on his face.

Even though he put on a smile, it wasn't convincing to me. Again, I wanted to ask him the same thing.

"Kaneki..." I muttered.

"Hmm?"he looked down at me.

He probably knew what I was going to ask. He patted my head, laid his hand on his chin and put on a more lively face.

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine. But please watch over Tsukiyama, I feel like he'll try to eat me in my sleep." he whispered the last part.

I had a stupid grin on, knowing that he still had his bright personality. I was actually afraid that he turned into some lunatic after Yamori's games.

"Tsukiyama, what will happen to the restaurant?" I asked him.

"Hmm, I'm not sure yet but we'll manage it somehow." he said in his merry tone. "But we did say that we'd help Kaneki..." his face suddenly contorted into a messed up smile.

I grimaced at his glare towards Kaneki, who was dazed about something else. I completely forgot how crazy my boss was but it was nice to know that he hasn't changed.