29

y/n's pov

my talk with matthew made me feel a lot better, there was something about him that made knew i can could depend on him. 

when was walking to my office, i saw the two men walking out of colton's room. they glanced at me and gave me a polite smile before heading to the elevator. 

"hey y/n," colton said as he walked out of his room. 

"hey, did you have anymore paper work for me? i finished it a while ago," i tell him. 

"yeah i'll go grab some and meet you in your office." 

i nod and continue strolling. a couple minutes later, he came into my office with another stack of work and set it on my desk. 

"take your time with those," he says. "how was your day?"

"it was alright, i had a good talk with matthew," i smile. 

"oh yeah? what about?" colton takes a seat at the couch again.

"if you were wondering, yes you were a topic that we discussed about shortly." coltons laughs. "he told me you paid a visit to evan in jail." 

"he wasn't suppose to tell you that," he sighs. "i'm sorry, i hope it didn't make you comfortable."

"well i'm glad you did. truthfully, i thought you would side with evan. he was your best friend." 

"i could never support anyone like that," said colton. "i'll never look at him the same." 

"i hope you know that you aren't responsible for me. i appreciate you looking out for me but what he did wasn't your fault." 

"yeah i know," he nods. "i just like helping other people sometimes." 

"cause you know what it's like to be helpless right?" 

"matthew needs to stop talking." 

i laugh. "he didn't really say anything else about you," i tell him. "he just told me how you took him in and helped him even though he wasn't safe to be around." 

"he mentioned his girlfriend huh?" 

i nod. "it was pretty sad to hear." 

"we all have a sad story from our past," said colton. "matthew was in a dark place for the longest time."

"that's similar to what i told matthew," i mention. "so what's your tragic stor?" his body straightened a little bit and he seemed uncomfortable. "you don't have to tell me." 

"no it's not that," he shakes his head. "my entire life, i've always sought for my father's approval and i don't even know why. he wasn't a good man-- always drunk, angry, violent, i just knew for sure i wanted to be nothing like him."

i hesitate asking, "did he ever hit you? or touch you?"

"everyday," colton confirms. "it was getting harder and harder to hide the bruises." 

i examine his body now and saw how built we was. i couldn't really imagine anyone laying a hand on him. 

"i was only a kid, i couldn't do anything about it. so when i had the opportunity to make something of myself, that's what i did. then i ran into matthew along the way and soon enough, i got dragged into his situation too," he continues. "but i don't regret it." 

"can i ask what type of situation you guys got into? i mean matthew mentioned it to me but he didn't really give me the details." 

"that's a story for another time." he shuts it down. "so who was that guy i ran into yesterday at your apartment?"

"ugh," i groan. "do we have to talk about that?"

"yes, you never told me you had a significant other," colton chuckles. "tell me about him."

"he's not really my boyfriend," i correct him. "and we're actually not on good terms right now." 

"how come?"

"he just said some things that really offended me and now that i think about i guess i said some things i'm not proud of either," i mumble. "i just hate how he brought out that bad side of me, he makes me so mad sometimes."

"well in a way, that's how you know it's real. you only get so mad because you care," he explains. "you do care about him don't you?"

i nod. "so much."

"do you love him?"

that question had me staring at the floor. "i don't know."

"do you see yourself loving him?"

"yeah, i do."

"why don't you check out early and go talk to him. work it out. it'll make you feel a lot better," he suggests. 

"you sure?" 

"go ahead," he gestures.

"thank you," i smile. "not just for letting me off early but thank you for this talk. if you ever need anything, just come to me." 

"i will," he smiles back. "see you tomorrow."

.