Nine

Elijah, Klaus, and Méalla all sat in the living room reading. There was a dead girl on the table, there before Méalla came down that morning. Elijah was reading one of their mother's spell books, Klaus was reading A Poison Tree, and Méalla was reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. Soft classical music added to the somewhat peaceful atmosphere, disrupted when Rebekah walked into the room.
"So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club? Méalla doesn't count, she's always reading." "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?" Klaus responded, not looking up.
"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah also did not look up.
Méalla just hummed to add her input.
"And what's this?" Rebekah gestured to the girl on the table.
"This is a peace offering." Elijah said, closing the spellbook.
"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish." Klaus said lightly.
"And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition, and personal growth." Elijah spoke smoothly. Klaus rolled his eyes in response.
"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet." Rebekah muttered.
Elijah looked to where Rebekah's gaze and landed.
"Ah, yes."
"Quite unfortunate, really. It was such a beautiful carpet." Méalla spoke, startling her siblings. She usually never responds while reading, although they know she's listening.
Méalla looked up just as Hayley passed the living room, holding her baby bump as she headed into the kitchen.
"Excuse me for a moment." Méalla stood up and made her own way into the kitchen.
"Good morning, love." Méalla spoke, leaning against the countertop. Her growing baby bump has made it harder for her to perch and sit in her usual places.
Hayley looked up, her dark hair falling behind her shoulder. She smiled when she saw Méalla.
"Hi."
"How was your night?" Méalla asked the werewolf as she dug through the fridge. Rebekah interrupts, dragging a trash can in from outside through the kitchen.
"Listen, I know I'm the only one in this house that actually drinks milk, but would it kill any of you to make sure it's on the grocery list?" Hayley groaned as she closed the fridge and opened the freezer.
"Speaking of, add bleach." Rebekah stomped past them as she stopped speaking.
Méalla walked over to the cupboard right in front of Hayley, taking out some bowls and spoons, along with some cereal, casually swapping it with the ice cream in Hayley's hand. The werewolf pouted but brought the cereal over to the counter, pouring it in the two bowls she had been handed. Méalla joined her, silently pouring the milk in the cereal for both of them. She grinned as Hayley smiled sheepishly upon seeing the milk.
"I was going to say I hope that my siblings had been hospitable to you in my absence, but I see now it's very obvious that at least one was." Elijah spoke from the doorway.
"In your absence, as you like to call it, which is a way-too-polite way of saying that your brother put a dagger in your heart. I have been attacked by French Quarter vampires, I've had to live in a house with a secret dungeon full of coffins, and I was nearly murdered by witches who are convinced my baby is Lucifer." Hayley's sarcasm was met with a raised eyebrow from Elijah and a hum from Méalla.
"They've been fine. Your siblings are weirdly protective, I know I have you two to thank for that." Hayley smiles at both of them.
"I'm just glad you're still in one piece, I need someone to roll eyes with me at my family."  Méalla shrugged.
"So, back to the murderous witches. I have some concerns." Elijah said, face turning more serious.
"They're evil." Hayley said.
"That's an understatement, love." Méalla muttered.
"And, my life is still magically linked to Sophie Deveraux, which is not comforting." Hayley continued, with Méalla nodding her head in agreement.
"Yes, I think it's time we took care of that little problem." Elijah agrees.
"I am all for it. As soon as they're unlinked, we get to leave this crap town." Rebekah chimed in as she was dragging the dead girl's body across the kitchen floor. Hayley's eyes just followed her with a curious look while Méalla and Elijah weren't fazed. It was a common occurrence in this family to see dead bodies being disposed of. "Who do we have to kill?"
Elijah thought for a moment. "Probably no one."
Hayley and Méalla gave him skeptical looks.
"Alright, potentially everyone." He sighed and then left the kitchen.
"Should I be concerned with the fact that I'm not bothered by the thought of casual murder?" Hayley asked, lifting a spoonful of cereal to her mouth.
"Nah. It just becomes a nuisance." Méalla shrugged, eating her own bowl of cereal. Hayley nodded as she chewed her cereal.