Chapter 20

"Finally! I'm free!" Nova exclaimed as she flopped onto the compartment seat besides Hermione.

"Back from doing rounds already?" Hermione asked and glanced up from her book.

Nova nodded and dug through her bag before pulling out a box. Harry recognized it as the same box as in the classroom with Dumbledore last week. She lifted the lid and her eyes swept over the contents of the box before closing and locking it again. She slipped it back into her bag and sighed. She shut her eyes and dozed off.

A while later she was awoken by an exploding noise and look over to see the trio playing exploding snaps, which she gladly joined in when they offered. Then the trolley witch came around and she got a handful of chocolates. 

Harry," said Hermione suddenly, peering over Harry's shoulder. "What's that thing outside yourwindow?"

Nova turned to see what they were looking at. Something small and gray was bobbing in and out of sightbeyond the glass. Harry stood up and quickly pulled down the window,stretched out his arm, and caught it. He brought the small owl carefullyinside.

 The owl dropped its letter onto Harry's seat and began zooming around the compartment,apparently very pleased with itself for accomplishing its task. Hedwig clicked her beak with asort of dignified disapproval to which Nova snorted in laughter. Crookshanks sat up in his seat, following the owl with his greatyellow eyes. Ron, noticing this, snatched the owl safely out of harm's way. 

 Harry picked up the letter. He ripped open the letter, and shouted, "It'sfrom Sirius!"

"What's that cook up to now!" Nova exclaimed with a smile.

"What?" said Ron and Hermione excitedly. "Read it aloud!"

" Dear Harry, I hope this finds you before you reach your aunt and uncle. I don't know whether they're used toowl post. 

 Buckbeak and I are in hiding. I won't tell you where, in case this owl falls into the wrong hands.I have some doubt about his reliability, but he is the best I could find, and he did seem eager forthe job.

 I believe the Dementors are still searching for me, but they haven't a hope of finding me here. Iam planning to allow some Muggles to glimpse me soon, a long way from Hogwarts, so that thesecurity on the castle will be lifted.

 There is something I never got around to telling you during our brief meeting. It was I who sentyou the Firebolt — "

 "Ha!" said Hermione triumphantly. "See! I told you it was from him!" 

"Yes, but he hadn't jinxed it, had he?" said Ron. "Ouch!"

 The tiny owl now hooting happily inhis hand, had nibbled one of his fingers in what it seemed to think was an affectionate way. 

"I mean he could have just for kicks.Only a few months into the whole god parenting thing and he's already trying to out do me!" Nova gasped as if she was offended.

"– Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your name but told them to takethe gold from my own Gringotts vault. Please consider it as thirteen birthdays' worth of presentsfrom your godfather.

 I would also like to apologize for the fright I think I gave you that night last year when you leftyour uncle's house. I had only hoped to get a glimpse of you before starting my journey north,but I think the sight of me alarmed you. 

 I am enclosing something else for you, which I think will make your next year at Hogwarts moreenjoyable.

 If ever you need me, send word. Your owl will find me. 

 I'll write again soon.

                                              ~ Sirius."  

 "That'll be good enough for Dumbledore!" said Harry happily. Nova watched as he looked back at Sirius's letter. 

"Hang on, there's a PS...

" I thought your friend Ron might like to keep this owl, as it's my fault he no longer has a rat."

  Ron's eyes widened. The minute owl was still hooting excitedly. 

"Keep him?" he saiduncertainly. He looked closely at the owl for a moment; then, to their surprise, he held him out for Crookshanks to sniff. 

"What do you reckon?" Ron asked the cat. "Definitely an owl?" Crookshanks purred. "That's good enough for me," said Ron happily. "He's mine." 

Harry read and reread the letter from Sirius all the way back into King's Cross station. It was stillclutched tightly in his hand as he, Ron, Nova, and Hermione stepped back through the barrier of platform nine and three-quarters.

 Harry spotted his uncle, Vernon at once. He was standing a gooddistance from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, eyeing them suspiciously, and when Mrs. Weasley huggedHarry in greeting, his worst suspicions about them seemed confirmed. 

 "I'll call about the World Cup!" Ron yelled after Harry as Nova winced at the sudden change in volume. Harry bid him and Hermione goodbye and started to wheel his trolley over to his uncle.

"Wait a moment, Harry." Nova said and he turned around. "Remember that I will be swinging by in two days around noon."

"Yes, Nova. I'll remember." Harry smiled  as Nova gave him a pat on the back and brushed past Vernon before hanging back to eavesdrop.

"What's that?" Vernon snarled, staring at the envelope Harry was still clutching in his hand. "If it'sanother form for me to sign, you've got another -"

"It's not," said Harry cheerfully. "It's a letter from my godfather."

"Godfather?" sputtered Vernon. "You haven't got a godfather!"

"Yes, I have," said Harry brightly. "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though... keep up with my news... check if I'm happy..."

 Nova watched as Harry grinned broadly at the look of horror on Vernon's face, Harry set off toward the station exit with a skip in his step, Hedwig rattling along in front of him. 

Nova smirked and walked to the Leaky Cauldron to floo back to her little cabin in the woods.