Chapter 31

Nova woke up resenting the day. Even though teachers and students had the day off, she still would have resented the day anyway.

October 31st. When she was in school and also a few years into her young adult life, she had loved halloween. Until, Lily and James' deaths. Nova remembered how she was so excited go and celebrate Halloween with two of her best friends, but had gotten held up at an airport at a distance that was too far to apparate.

Date: October 31st, 1981

Time: 10:25 pm

"Phew! What a day! First I get held up at a bloody airport, then I almost lost my wand, and now I'm so bloody late! Lils is going to kill me!" The young woman wih the strange appearance exclaims. "No, James wouldn't let her kill me, but she'll still maim me! Maybe she'll let me expalin why I'm late first. Yeah! She was always the more rational one! "

Nova finally made it to Godrc's Hallow at ten thirty that evening. Nova should have known something was wrong when she saw that nearly all the lights in the house were still on at this time in the evening. She was almost there, she only had about half a mile left, but when she heard the voices, she ran as fast as she could.

"Not Harry! Please not my baby!" She could hear Lily begging someone from inside. She panicked when she heard a scream and saw a flash of green from a window on one of the upper floors. Nova froze. Her mind going back to that night in her village. 

The flashes of green when the shifters wouldn't reveal anything, the screams, the blood, the smoke, and Aquaria. Kind and beautiful Aquaria. 

"No. No no no no no!" Nova repeated that word as she ran. A prayer that they would be okay even though her mind knew otherwise. Nova burst through the door of the Potter residence seconds later.

"James!? Lily!?" She called, breaking the silence in the house and receiving no answer. She checked all the downstairs rooms first. Nothing. She quickly jogged up the stairs but tripped over something on the first landing. She glanced over and saw James' still figure.

"James? James!" Nova shook him frantically. Only to see that it was too late. He wasn't breathing. She hugged his body close as her eyes teared up. "No. James not you, too."

A few moments later Nova pulled away and wiped the tears streaming down her face. She set him back down gently and closed his eyes. She quickly rushed up the last of the stairs and into the nursery. Tears immediately started running down her face again as she took in the scene. Harry was in his crib crying and Lily's body on the floor between him and the door. 

"Lily? Lils?" Nova closed her eyes and looked down, clenching her fists. She took a deep breath and that's when she smelled it. Two other scents were lingering in the room along with Lily and James'. One she recognized, the other was foreign, but she knew who it was.

The first scent she picked up was Peter's. It smelled sweet but also held a hint of fear. The other smelled of smoke and death. Voldemort. Nova growled and her eyes flashed murderously. Then she heard Harry crying and her features immediately softened. She bent over and closed Lily's magnificent green eyes for the last time. Nova choked down the sobs that were building in her throat and went over to Harry.

"It's alright, little one. Shh. It's going to be okay." Nova whispered into the toddler's ear until he fell asleep. She put him back in the crib and promised she would come back later. For now she had a scent to follow and she would make sure that traitor would pay. 

*End of flashback* 

Of course, no one knew that Nova had been to the house before any of the others got there. She hadn't exactly cleaned up, only staying to close her best friends' eyes and calm Harry down. Nova wasn't exactly in a rush to make that fact known either. After all, it had been thirteen years.