thirty-nine; a night of neglect

"You're kidding," Quinn breathed out while Winona was whispering in her ear, "You guys hooked up in the backseat of his car already?"

Winona nodded, trying not to laugh and/or blush. The pair headed to glee club, giggling and mumbling about the events Winona just shared on the way.

"I trust him and he trusts me. . and we both decided it was as good a time as any."

They entered the choir room, Winona rushing to sit with Finn and Quinn sitting in front of them.

"When I was a student here, we paid for our
entire trip to nationals selling this," Mr. Schue began, holding up saltwater taffy, "classroom to classroom, door to door. We pushed this stuff like crack."

Winona cocked a brow— he really had trouble wording things appropriately.

"And so will we. So to make $5,000 at 25 cents apiece . . we need to sell 20,000 pieces of taffy."

"Wait. Do you honestly think that we can sell 20,000 anythings? We won regionals for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the planet and I still got a freakin' cherry icee facial," Santana complained, narrowing her eyes.

"Yeah, Santana's right. Nobody cares about us."

Mike stood up, clearly frustrated, "I can't listen to this."

Artie, Tina and Brittany followed.

"You guys complain all the time about being mistreated— but you have no idea what it's like
to work your butt off for something and have everyone, even your friends, ignore you," He went on, arms crossed, "Artie, Tina, Brittany and I are on the Brainiacs."

"Isn't that the Academic Decathlon team?" Questioned Rachel.

"We have one of those?" Finn cocked his head.

"Yeah, Finnie, we do," Winona whispered to him like he was a child. He nodded slowly in understanding.

"—And the four of us went on the Smarty Pants Show and beat Carmel High to go to the Academic Decathlon finals in Detroit next week."

"Yay Brainiacs!" Winona cheered quietly. She was the only one to tune into the show the other day.

"You guys were on TV?" Sam cocked a brow, "Why didn't you tell us about it?"

"We did!"

By then, Winona wasn't paying attention, yawning and then recounting her post-regional night with Finn in her head while Mr. Schue blabbered about candy.

( — — )

It seemed Mr. Schue had a problem with being indecisive. First, he said the New Directions must sell saltwater taffy, but now they were doing what he called a Night of Neglect— where they sing songs by neglected artists.

Walking down the hall, everyone was trying to pick the perfect song and artist for the benefit concert.

"I'm totally doing Lykke Li. She's Björk meets Florence and the Machine, and a promising new talent," Tina started, turning to Winona next, "and you?"

"Probably P!nk. She's not super neglected by the alt kids, at least, but I'm pretty sure if I asked three quarters of the kids here to name one of her songs that they couldn't."