forty-three; funeral

— yall are gna hate me for the next chapter 🥺

"New Directions . . I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant—  Jesse St. James."

Winona and Rachel seemed to be the only people even a little happy to see him. Everyone else was very reluctant.

"I don't trust this guy," Finn uttered, He's gonna trick us into doing something stupid so his alma mater wins."

"I don't need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn," Jesse shot back smoothly, Winona shaking her head with a sigh.

"Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls.  I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get because .  .  . this is it."

"I don't see why not," Winona shrugged. Finn wrapped his arm around her shoulders, glaring at their new consultant.

"We've been working so hard for two years for
this moment, and that moment is finally here. I was talking with Jesse and he agreed we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition."

"I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet."

"Maybe Finn and I should sing a duet. We killed it last year at regionals with Faithfully."

"Y'know who else killed it? Winona and Sam," Quinn brought up with a shrug.

"I agree that Rachel or Winona should sing lead, but, Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. The fact is, most of the other guys in here are better singers," Jesse started, Finn tensing, "and Mike Chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop."

"Jesse—" Winona started to scold him. Finn's feelings were clearly hurt. Lauren and Puck were laughing behind him, while the blonde was trying to shush them to spare her boyfriend's ego.

"You see what I'm talking about? This guy's a jerk!"

"Maybe you could be a little gentler with your advice," Schuester suggested.

"Gentle?" He scoffed, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize we were training for the "Good Try" ribbon at nationals. I thought we were in it to win the whole damn thing, and there's only one way we can do that."

"Poison darts?" Offered Brittany.

"The Vocal Adrenaline strategy is simple. Identify your best performer and build the entire performance around them," Jesse explained.

"And who's our star performer?" Queried Puck.

"We're gonna have auditions to find out. I'm gonna post a sign-up sheet later this afternoon."

This didn't sound like something the New Directions would do— but whatever Schuester and Jesse say goes. As glee club was dismissed, Winona stood up, speed walking towards Jesse and dragging him out of the room.

"What on earth do you think you're doing?" She hissed, Whispering. He shrugged with a smirk, leaning against the wall.

"I'm helping."

"You're gonna ruin their confidence— Especially Finn. He's sensitive," Winona insisted, crossing her arms, "I honestly can't tell if you're trying to help us or ruining us for the fun of it."

"You really think I would do that, Watts?" He said, cocking a brow.

"I wouldn't put it past you," She said, the conversation turning slightly playful and a smile forming on her lips.