forty-five; the purple piano project

Going into the new year, Winona didn't find herself that excited. She was a senior— meaning while she was working through the drama that arose at this school, she would be making plans for her future too. On the bright side, she had a new boyfriend— a rebound who didn't have any unresolved feelings for anyone else. Ross Dyer. He was a football player, and he was very attractive.

Too bad he was kind of a dick. Still, Winona put up with him, considering he accepted her social suicide-ey choice to be in the glee club. That was more respect than most other jocks showed her.

"Winona!" Called Jacob Ben Israel, rushing to catch up with her while she walked to her locker with her boyfriend.

"Can I help you?" She asked, stopping in her tracks. He shoved the mic in her face.

"Winona Watts, is it true that you dumped Finn Hudson for the way less gay Ross Dyer?"

"Uh. . No— I dumped Finn long before I even met Ross. But yes, he and I are dating and we're very happy together."

"Yeah, totally," Ross added, only half engaged in the conversation.

"What's your plan for the future?"

"I'm getting some sports scholarships or something."

"And I'm going to be an actress," Winona smiled. Ross looked down at her and cocked a brow, clearly doubting her— which she noticed right away, "I'm going to New York to pursue my dreams after senior year."

Ross questioned her ambition, initiating quiet bickering. The camera panning over toJacob, making a concerned face before speaking into the mic.

"Yikes."

( — — )

Winona wasn't a fan of the purple piano project. It seemed disruptive. In fact, she wasn't a fan of this year in general. Quinn was gone, and now a skank— this place felt lonely without her. Sam was gone too, moving all the way to Kentucky.

"You gotta talk to Quinn," Artie insisted, walking down the hall with Winona, "Other than Santana and Brittany, you're closest to her out of all of us."

"I am not talking to Quinn, the skanks will probably beat me up and I'm not interested in getting a black eye."

"Pleaaaaaaase?" Artie pouted, making Winona roll her eyes as she debated whether to do it or not.

"Fine, fine. One try," Winona sighed, looking at the two with a small smile.

"Good luck!" Called Artie as Winona headed for the bleachers where Quinn and her skanky friends stood, smoking cigarettes.

"Quinn, you have another visitor. This one smells like soap too," One of her friends announced. Quinn turned to look over her shoulder, nearly rolling her eyes at the sight of Winona.

"What do you want, Watts?"

"Quinn. . what the hell is this? Who are you?"

"I'm finally my true self, I'm a skank."

Silence.

"I can convince my friends to let you in if you want," Quinn offered as Winona crossed her arms, "we just need to dye your hair. . maybe get you a nose ring."

Bored, her friends stopped listening, chatting amongst themselves.

"No. Quinn. I— We need you back in glee club."

"Do you?" The pink haired girl hissed, "you dumped Finn, so what's even the point of us being friends?"

"Just because Finn and I aren't together now doesn't mean you and I can't be friends anymore. The New Directions are your real friends— we've been over this before. We stuck by you when the cheerios dropped you, and now you've dropped us, Quinn."