[28] Sisters

~~~Anna's POV~~~

I am finally going back to school years after l dropped out and started taking drugs.

I had fully planned on making Violet's life hell but then my little sister Rose showed up and she is the one person that l would never hurt intentionally but l now realise that my actions have caused her pain and l can't keep doing that to my little girl.

Ever since l was 6 l had been looking after her while my mother was out drinking and having sex with everything that would say yes and then come home and throw bottles of alcohol at our closed doors while my little sister who was 5 at the time was crying and screaming for mommy to stop.

I had taken it as my job to look after her but it all got too much when I turned 13 and I got mixed in with the wrong crowd and drugs got mixed into my daily diet and l was out of the house more than l was with my sister.

One thing lead to another and l made it into rehab which I ran away from this past summer. I came here so I can see Ian again but when my little sister ran after me, l knew it was time for me to grow up and start acting like her older sister again.

I think it's way past the time that l apologise to the people I have hurt. I was under the influence of drugs when l beat her up and now that I am sober, l am embarrassed and ashamed of my actions.

I need to set things right.

That is why l am in school today and walking towards Violet so l can apologise. I know this won't be easy and l don't expect her to forgive me but for myself l need to know that l tried and l know that l mean this from the bottom of my heart and this is just one more act so l can get my sister back.

I put my poker face on and make my way through the hallway and actually following where my sister is running. I haven't seen her in a year and she has grown up so much. It brings tears to my eyes that l left her to be alone and became so selfish as to turn to drugs when my life got hard, she deserves better and l am going to be better for her.

I see Rose running in front of me and she reaches Violet before me and when l hear what she is saying about me l nearly turn around and run to the bathrooms so l can cry but this is exactly why l am doing this.

To prove to my treasure that l am changed and from now on she will have the best life any girl could dream of.

I reach them just after Rose says her little speech and when l look at Violet l see fear and determination in her eyes and l can't help but admire her strength. Before l can say anything to her, Ashton steps in front of her and pulls her behind him in a protective stance that l smile at.

"I'm not here to cause any trouble but to say sorry." I say and wait for their reaction, which was not so long after.

"We have absolutely no reason to trust you or want to talk to you. Your sister hates you and you are lucky that you are a woman and l would not punch you right now." Ashton hisses at me and l nod causing his brows to draw together and a look of confusion to come over their faces, including the one of my sister.

"l know that you want nothing to do with me but l am being honest here and want to say that l am deeply sorry for all the sorrow l have caused you, mainly Violet who is the strongest person l know after my sister and l know that you are not going to forgive me today or maybe never but l am getting my life back on track and l know that me being on drugs and alcohol is not an excuse for my actions so that is why l am putting myself back in rehab and before l do that l want to say sorry and hopefully start to win my sisters love again." I say in one long so, hoping that they would not interrupt me and that l won't lose my courage and just walk away.

By the time l had finished Violet had come out from behind Ashton and had tears in her eyes. I don't want to see her cry even worse when l am somehow the cause of the tears. I have done enough damage in the past.

I am rooted to the spot when she comes forward and hugs me.

"l forgive you. I can see that you are sorry and just go and get your life sorted out again. Everyone deserves a second chance at life, no matter how late it is." He whispers in my ears and l hug her back, no longer managing to hold the tears back.

"I am so sorry for what I did. I really do admire you Violet." I whisper to her and when we pull back they are about to walk away from me but I grab Ashton's arm and he turn to look at me in surprise.

"I wanted to give you this. I found it in Ian's house and it was in the trash but I thought that you should have it. It's all your sisters' belongings when Ian took her for the last time. It's all her pictures of you and her and your family that she kept with her. There is also a letter addressed to you and Josh." I say and l would have never thought that I would see him hug me and cry into my shoulder.

"You have no idea how much this means to me." He says and turns to smile at Violet who embraces him and they walk off hand in hand. I wish that l saw how they look at each other and them come to my freaking mind that messing with other people is not worth it for any price in the world.

I feel arms wrap around my middle and look down to the blonde head of locks and immediately tug her close to my body.

"That's the big sister that I love." She says and l am once more crying but this time into my sister's shoulder.

"You have no idea how much I have missed you and I am going to spend months even years trying to make it up to you. I swear Rose, l am going to be the best sister ever and I won't ever let you down again." I say through my tears and when she pulls away l want to kick myself for being such an idiot but when l see her forgiving eyes l relax a little bit.

"You never disappointed me Anna, you went to the darkest place and came back on your own, l couldn't be more proud of you. We are going to get through this like family and like the sisters we are." She says and it hits me straight in the heart that my little sister is not so little anymore and l missed it all.

"Never are we going to be separated again." She says.

"Never." I promise and we smile before hugging each other again.

~~~

I want to highlight the importance of forgiveness and realising your mistakes and trying to set them right, it might take a while but in the end it's worth it.

NEXT CHAPTER IS PRIVATE

~~~