Stubborn Love

The Lumineers – Stubborn Love

Connor made his way across the lobby of the hotel, toward the elevators. The midafternoon sunlight slanted through the windows, glaring off of the linoleum floor. He glanced around at the notable lack of people, the same scarcity he had noticed as he'd made his way across the city. Many humans had followed the evacuation order and left Detroit.

Some people had stayed behind. He figured that they had to be android sympathizers, people like the ones he had watched on Taylor's phone, that wanted his people to have equal rights. Though he had to admit to himself that it was still hard, at times, to remember that he was deviant.

"Connor!" He halted in his path toward the elevators, just past the front desk that was being manned by an android. He could tell by the blank, pleasant smile on its face that it wasn't a deviant. He wondered how long it would be before all androids were deviant as he turned toward the sound of his name.

Eric Alexander West

Birthday: September 7, 2000 (Age 38)

Hair Color: Black

Eye Color: Green

Height: 5' 11"

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Alex had been waiting inside of the hotel's café with a clear view of the entrance. He'd crossed the lobby to meet him by the desk but inclined his head back toward the small table he had been sitting at. Connor hesitated before he nodded. He didn't have a scheduled time to meet Taylor, but he didn't like making a detour.

Alex resumed his seat at the round café table before an espresso coffee beverage and a half-eaten pressed turkey sandwich. His laptop was also on the table, closed. Connor took the chair opposite and folded his hands in his lap, waiting.

"I'm leaving tomorrow, and Taylor has informed me that she's staying here." Alex said, meeting his gaze across the table.

"Yes." Connor took a moment to observe the other male. He had to admit to himself that Alex was not quite what he had anticipated. He recognized him from the photograph he had seen in Taylor's old bedroom, but for some reason he had imagined someone older. Considering he did have an infant child, he shouldn't be surprised, but Alex had been Taylor's manager for over a decade.

It occurred to him that he could probably sift through the millions of search results under Taylor's name and still not know as much about her as the man sitting across from him. Alex regarded him with a sort of detached curiosity while he took a drink of his coffee.

"So I'm forced, yet again, to leave her here alone."

"She isn't alone," Connor protested. "I have promised to stay with her and help her."

"Yes," he offered a tight-lipped smile. "She said the same thing. Forgive me if I'm not reassured. How many times was she almost killed in the past two weeks?"

Connor felt his hands clench into fists, but he could say nothing to defend himself. Alex read the sudden tension in his face. "I'm not blaming you. I know how she is better than anyone. I wanted to speak to you for a different reason."

"Which is?" The strain that had seeped into his voice surprised even him. He wasn't sure why he was suddenly so defensive. Alex didn't take offense to the tone, just propped his elbows on the table and leaned in.

"How much has Taylor told you about her past?" This wasn't the question that Connor had expected. He briefly wondered whether Taylor would want him to have this conversation about her secrets, but he also recognized that Alex knew more than he did about her history.