CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Min Ho was kind of nervous with what Shin Hye is about to tell him.

He knew it is something serious.

She looked at him intently and sighed.

"Please promise me that you will let me talk first. Okay? Brute, remember the day when you saw me and that girl Zora?"

Min Ho immediately looked at her. He nodded. He cannot forget about that day cause that was the day he regrets the most.

"Remember when you pushed me away when I tried approaching you after you saw me push that Zora?"

Again, Min Ho just nodded and stayed silent. He didn't mean to push her.

God knows he didn't mean to, and he was really sorry.

"When you pushed me, I slumped against a shart object on the ground. I had a deep cut on my left leg."

He immediately looked at her. He was really feeling guilty.

"I tried calling out to you cause I pass out when I see blood. But you didn't bother looking back at me."

"I'm really sor---"

Shin Hye cut him off.

"Please. Don't talk. Just let me do all the talking at this moment."

Min Ho just sighed and agreed.

"I was brought to a clinic. Unfortunately, they weren't able to clean my wound properly that time. I didn't bother going to a hospital to have the wound checked. After all, I was really hurting with what happened to us that I wasn't able to take care of myself."

Min Ho heard her laugh but there was no humor in it.

"I thought I was okay. But little did I know that that wound will cause me problems years after."

He was attentively listening to her. He was feeling guilty, but he knew he needs to know what happened to her.

"I haven't paid any attention to that wound until last year. I thought it was all because of the nature of our job that was why I am having extreme migraines. But when I went to the doctor and ran some tests, they found out I have sepsis."

Sepsis? But why?

He wanted to ask her but he remembered she told him to stay silent.

"You see, I had infections due to that wound I had. That infection caused sepsis. When my family found out, they immediately said that I should be treated right away. Mine is already on the severe case. That was why I have bruise-like things on my skin. I just rely on painkillers all the time so I could look normal to the public even if I am getting so weak inside."

Tears fell from her cheeks and he wiped it off.

She continued talking and tried not to sob.

"It needed immediate care. That was why I scheduled a flight to London. You see, that is also the reason why I kept on rejecting the drama. It was not because you were in it."

Min Ho looked apologetically at her.

"Y-you said it needed immediate care?"

He watched as she dried her tears and nodded at him.

"Yes. I was supposed to fly to London right away for a surgery. The affected tissues must be immediately removed so I can heal. If not, it might worsen and turn to septic shock."

Min Ho cannot do anything but look down.

He was so ashamed and guilty. If he didn't blackmail her almost two months ago, she should have been in London by now, getting her treatment.

"I am sorry. All of those wouldn't have happened if not because of me. I am really sorry. Sorry, Shin Hye."

He balled his fist up. He was so angry at himself.

"You see, I was so afraid that you would release the letters I wrote for you that was why I delayed the flight. I didn't trust you that time, honestly."

Min Ho tried his best to look her in the eyes.

"I am sorry. Even if you declined the drama, I won't release the letters to the press. I won't do that to you."

Shin Hye smiled at him before speaking.

"I am sorry, too. I agreed to do the drama because I don't trust you."

Hearing that from the woman he loves pained him, but he knew he deserve that cause he was a jerk.

"But you swayed my heart again. We barely spent two months together, but my stupid heart is opening up to you again."

Shin Hye reached for his face and wiped something off.

He didn't even notice that he was crying.

"I will be leaving in a few weeks time. Min Ho, will you be trustworthy this time? If I leave for a while, will you stay faithful?"

Min Ho held her hand and looked straight into her eyes.

"Shin Hye, I have a lot of explaining to do. But my side of the story can wait. Right now, I promise I will stay loyal to you. You can trust me now. Just promise me you'll be okay. Please be okay."

Tears fell down from her cheeks and he wiped it all away.

He hugged her as she starts sobbing again.

"I want to be okay, Min Ho. I want to. I am tired of pretending that I am okay."

Min Ho just hugged her tightly.

"I am here now, Shin Hye. I maybe the reason behind all your sufferings today and I am really, really sorry. But rest assured, I will be with you through all these. You don't have to pretend when it's me. You can cry. You can be vulnerable. I am just right here. I love you. I really do."

He felt her hugged him tightly. Then, she spoke in between sobs.

"You are the cause of my pain, but you are also the cure. A decade has passed. But my stupid heart still looks for you. Please, be true to me this time. Promise me. I cannot bear to have my heart broken again."

Min Ho can feel his tears welling up his eyes.

"I promise. This time, you can count on me. I won't leave you. I will be with you, love. We'll get through this together, okay?"

Shin Hye just nodded at him.

He really feels guilty. He was, after all, the cause of all her hurting.

But like what she said, he was also her cure.

I know my mistakes.

I know my shortcomings. And I am really sorry for not explaining sooner.

I am sorry I wasn't able to save you from all the pain back then.

But I will do everything to save you from further damage this time, love.

I will make the most out of this second chance.

Just please be okay.

Let's fight this together.

- L E E L Y B E R R Y -