Chapter Thirty-Four - The First Night

It was our first night having Elaine home and I swear to god she would not stop waking up. She woke up every thirty minutes,  needing something. She was a pretty needy baby. She always wanted to be held. I was laying in bed, about to fall asleep, when I heard Elaine crying again. I had gotten no sleep that night and I was beyond tired. I waited for a couple seconds to see if she would stop crying or not and she didn't. I sighed and started to get out of bed, but Niall stopped me. We took turns taking care of her throughout the night. I was so grateful for Niall for helping me through this. We're doing this together.

"I got it this time baby. You've gotten no sleep. You need to sleep. I got it this time." He said

"Thank you." I sighed and pulled the covers over myself to try and sleep. I heard Niall talking to Elaine through the baby monster. I couldn't hear what he was saying, so I got up and walked to the nursery. I stood in the doorway to hear what he was saying. He held Elaine in his arms and was talking to her.

"What am I gonna do with you little one? Huh? You're driving me and your mum insane. And me? I'm terrified. Terrified that imma mess up and do this wrong. Terrified that something's gonna happen to you. Or your mum." I heard his voice crack, telling me he was crying. I walked up behind him and hugged him from behind. He placed our now sleeping Elaine back in her crib.

"Baby, don't be scared. You're doing great. You're a great dad. And we're both still learning." I said wiping his tears. "You're going to be the best father to her (I pointed to Elaine) that you can be, hell, you already are."

"But what if something happens and I lose you, or her, or both?"

"Shhh, no, nothing's going to happen. We're both safe. Let's get to sleep, yea?"

"Ok. I love you Addy."

"I love you too Niall." We headed back to the bed, where we stayed and occasionally got up to care for Elaine throughout the night.