Jinxed

Red's POV

After Ethan had flexed all of his new Pokemon he had caught along the way to Mahogany, I recollected what all Pokemon he had, and what I'll have to face in the league in order to win it and rhis time I was certain I will do it, without meddling with the time, of course.

Ethan currently had a Typhlosion, which was evolved from his Quilava, a Larvitar which I searched the Pokedex to be a dark type, an Umbreon which is one of the evolutions of an Eevee and also a dark type. A Xatu, evolved form of Natu the psychic type. A Pichu which was hatched from an egg Professor Oak gave him, Pichu evolves into a Pikachu. And finally the Gyarados he caught at the Lake of Rage, which attained a permanent red color.

I really hoped Lance caught the Red Gyarados, but never mind, I guess Ethan deserved it.

"Pryce, I challenge you for a gym battle." I said, clicking off a Pokeball from my belt. Pryce was ready, probably ready to defeat me, but I had to win, if I lose now, there's no chance of winning at the league.

"I don't think I can deny battling you." Said Pryce. "Are you ready?"

"As ready as one could be!" I gasped and felt the strength inside of me, strength of my core, blazing like red hot fire. "Go Wartortle."

"Go Seel." Pryce sent out one of his ice types. Seel was an easy win, easier with Wartortle.

"Wartortle, use Water Gun."

It was a critical hit. Pryce hadn't seen that coming. He didn't seem ready to battle as of now, as if something had happened recently.

"Seel, use Icy Wind." Said Pryce, losing all hopes from Seel, he was already at low health.

"Wartortle, finish it with a Rapid Spin." Seel fainted. Pryce called his Pokemon back.

"Go Delibird." He said, sending off his Delibird.

"Wartortle, you know what to use." I said, nodding. "Hydro Pump."

"Delibird!" Said Pryce. "Freeze it."

Delibird blew cold air at the water coming towards it, the water turned into ice in it's way to Delibird, the ice fell before it could reach the red colored ice type.

I then asked Wartortle to use water gun to see if the Delibird chose to use the same move to freeze the water, and it happened as I had expected. Wartortle's  water type attacks were ineffectual against the icy Delibird. And I he was left with his last attack, 'Rapid Spin'.

Given that Wartortle was the first Pokemon I used, I was certainly winning as Pryce had just one more that I had to beat. Without creating any false tension, I asked Wartortle to use Rapid Spin. Pryce was now taking Wartortle lightly and did not treat him as a threat as he previously did before he withdrew his Seel.

"Delibird" He said in rather dark voice. "Aerial Ace." Delibird dashed at Wartortle using its small feathers and hit him with all its strength. Wartortle couldn't handle the flying type move and fainted.

I called him back, and there was the lesson I learnt, it popped in my mind as the voice of my father that said - never underestimate anyone. I smiled for a reply to what his voice said, the smile was half-hearted and partly sarcastic. Then he continued - not even yourself.

The lines clicked my mind and I was serious, as serious as one could be for a gym battle. Come on Red, this is your chance to prove everyone that you can defeat someone without the help of your two main Pokemon - Charizard and Pikachu.