Life or Death?

“My husband Jack and his moron best friend Bob were creating a replica battlefield of World War II and they decided to build and fire a bazooka. It wouldn't work so Jack decides to go stand in front of it and that's when it finally decides to work.” She says, as we run off to an OR.

“Wait, did the bullet go all the way through your husband?” Alex asks.

“Well, no-”

“Was there an explosion?”

“No. No there wasn't.” She says, at that, Alex runs off to find us in the OR.

“Dr. Sloan, Aultman, may I speak to you.” He asks, walking into the OR.

“Not right now Karev, we're about to cut.” I tell him.

“With all do respect, Dr., I think you want to talk to me.” He says, making us look at him and head out of the OR.

“His wife said they were creating a Bazooka, right?” He asks when we are in the hall.

“Yes, but-”

“She also said that there wasn't an explosion” He said as Teddy and I exchange a look.

“Are you sure?” Teddy asks, as we head back in and Alex nods his head to our question.

“I want you to go to the front desk, tell them we have a Code Black, and then tell them to call the Bomb Squad.” I tell Meredith quietly. She looks at all of us and nods as she heads out of the OR.

“What's happening? What is it?” Hannah asks, looking at us nervously.

“Hannah, without moving your hand, do you feel anything hard?” Teddy asks.

“I-I think so.” she replies, curious as to why.

“Hannah, I'm only going to tell you this once. But, the object your hand is on is a bomb. If you move even the slightest bit, it could explode. We have called the Bomb Squad and they are on the way.” Teddy tells her calmly.

“No! I-I can't keep my hand in here! I'm on only 27! I'm taking my hand out I-I have to.” She said, panicking.

“Hannah, please, keep your ha-”

“No. I have to take it out. I have to.” She says, pulling her hand out of the patient's chest quickly and running out the door. Everyone crouches down, waiting for an explosion, but look up when there isn't one. When everyone finally stands back up and looks around, they see that my hand it in his chest, keeping the bomb from going off.

“Bella, what are yo-”

“If I didn't put my hand in his chest, the bomb would've gone off, killing us all.” I tell them, looking them in the eye. We wait in silence for the Bomb Squad to show up, and about 20 minutes later, they finally get here.

“We're here. Where's the bomb?” Kevin, the man in charge of the others asks, looking at us and finally notices the my hand in the patient's chest.

“It's in here.” I say, looking down at the patient.

“We have the X-Ray in the Scrub Room.” Teddy says, taking and showing them.

“Ok. If we move very slowly to another OR, we can remove the bomb and get your hand out of his chest before it goes off.” Kevin tells us. After we agree, we go to another OR very carefully and finally make it. Once we get in there, they tell me to keep the bomb leveled and slowly pull it out when I'm ready. After a few deep breaths, I start pulling it out and, after a few minutes, it's fully out of the patient's chest. Then, I slowly hand it over to Kevin. Once he has it, the Bomb Squad turns around, goes out the door, and down the hall. I go into the hall to watch as they walk away while Teddy and Meredith close the patient up. As they head down the hall, the bomb goes off, knocking me off my feet and to the floor, hitting my head hard as I go down. I feel a liquid coming from my head, I look to see what it is with my hand, and realize that it's blood. A few minutes later, I guess after Meredith and Teddy close that patient's wound, they rush out to see if I'm okay. Once they spot me lying on the floor with my head bleeding, they pull me up and help me to the Lobby of the ER. As soon as Mark and everyone else sees me, they run over and hug me and ask if I'm okay. Mark, holding Lilly and crying, hands her over to Mom, and pulls me into his embrace.

“I thought I'd never see you again.” He says to me, still crying. After we break our hug, everyone else hugs us. I just stand still, too shocked to do anything.

“Come on, we need to bandage your head.” Mark says, pulling me towards a bed in Trauma. But, he has to pick me up because I still won't move. Once he sits me on the bed, he orders Lexi to get a suture kit and bandages. He then orders Reed to get me water and crackers. As soon as Lexi comes back, he starts stitching up my wound and then bandages it. A few minutes later, Reed comes back with a cup of ice water and a pack of saltine crackers like Mark asked her to.

“Here. Eat, it'll ease your stomach a little.” He tells me, handing me a cracker and the water. After I eat, I get up in search of Mark because he had to go off and talk to someone. On the way, the wife of the bomb patient comes up to me.

“Thank you so so much for saving my husband. I don't know if I could ever do what you did.” She says, hugging me and walking away. When I round a corner, I find Mark talking with Derek and Owen.

“If you ever talk to my wife like that again so help me I won't hesitate to take you down.” I hear Mark say.