Chapter 10: Kids Again

Makoto Tachibana

I wake up to the bright light of a mid September morning sun. A groan followed by a yawn escapes from my mouth and not much later I'm opening my eyes.

Most mornings I have to reorientate; tell myself where I am, why I'm here and who I know. But today it's different, because within the same second that I'm opening my eyes a question shoots to mind.

Has Rin told Haruka about NPC yet?

I want to know immediately, but I can't because when I glance at the clock I see that it's only just half past six in the morning. Breakfast won't be until eight, that and I have to stay in my room until nurse Danuja has come by to check if everything has gone back to normal again.

My headache has gone away, this I know when I sit upright and my brain doesn't feel like it's being impaled. At least that's a sign that I'm doing better than yesterday evening when I fell asleep to a burning fever and a massive headache.

My tongue also feels less numb, which is a good sign.

I get up from my bed and throw on a grey-ish blue shirt and sweatpants. By the time I'm wearing decent clothing the door opens and nurse Dajuna walks in.

"Oh, you're awake already?" she asks, the tone in her voice rather confused.

I nod and give her a kind smile.

"How are you feeling?"

I sit down on the bed and as I talk nurse Dajuna measures my temperature and does some other little tests to see how I'm doing.

"I'm feeling much better than yesterday," I reassure her.

She nods and tells me that my fever has gone down. "If you're feeling well enough you can even join today's activity if you want," she says.

It almost immediately makes a smile appear on my face and I tell nurse Dajuna I would love to join in today's line dancing.

"Just make sure to eat well at breakfast and go to bed in time," she says before she leaves my room.

I nod and reassure her that I'll do that. I wait until I hear the door to room beside me open and close again before I walk to my own door myself.

Just when I'm about to head to Haruka's room the doorknob turns and the door opens. My eyes stare right into two bright diamond-like blue eyes.

It's Haruka standing in my doorway with messy hair and a concerned look on his face. It's barely noticeable, but the way his mouth is opened a little and his eyebrows are slightly turned upwards tell me that Rin has probably told him about NPC.

"Are you okay?" he asks, his eyes glaring into mine with full intenseness.

I smile and tell him that I'm doing many times better than yesterday. This makes his release a sigh of relief.

I step back to my bed and sit down, realizing that Haruka probably has a lot of questions since Rin told me he couldn't to go into detail too much. I pat on the mattress just beside me as a sign that Haruka can sit down as well.

He does this and when he's sitting too, he takes a deep breath before saying, "Rin told me a little about what happened yesterday."

"Any questions he hasn't answered?" I ask, because I don't want to repeat Rin.

Haruka stares down at his lap before mumbling, "What happens with NPC?" He pauses and repeats the question, but more specific this time. "What is going to happen to you?"