Chapter 26: In Case You Don't Live Forever

Makoto Tachibana

The past days went by so slowly.

I didn't expect that healing would take so long, or at least feel so long. I've only been spending my time in this hospital bed for about a week, and I'm already dying to go outside again and take a walk and chat with my friends.

And today the day has come, I'm allowed to attempt to classes again and see my friends and take longer walks than just these five steps I can take inside of this tiny room.

It's already late in the afternoon when nurse Danuja comes in to tell me that I can move back into my own room again today. She says I'll be allowed to do anything I did before, except for taking baths or showers. And I have to be careful of course, and keep resting a lot.

By the time that I get to my room, it's already dark outside and it's raining pretty badly. I turn on the light and sigh, my room's a mess from when they had to carry me out. My bedding is on the floor and my med card has been pushed over, causing all of the pills to have spilled onto ground.

It's a huge mess, which I'm going to have to clean up some time soon. But not right now, because I can't look at the medication and the equipment filling up my room any longer.

Somewhere deep inside I'm raging, have been ever since I woke up in that terrible hospital bed next to a heart monitor and attached to an IV-drip. I'm furious at myself for believing that the pills are actually going to help.

I put so much effort in making up a system that would make sure that I didn't forget to take my medication and I even made little books to keep remembering everyone I know.

But in the end, all it does is give me false hope; I'm never going to get better and I am going to forget, and be disabled and I will die in the not so far future.

I groan in anger and give the fallen med card a kick.

Spending that week in a bed with all of my thoughts and to one to keep me from thinking of them all day and night, it made me realize in how bad of a shape I am.

By only thinking of taking my medication, and only caring about not forgetting, I'm not even making memories worth remembering.

When that thought came to mind I remembered all the opportunities I have had to make new memories. I want to have something to remember, but I just told myself and everyone around me I couldn't because of NPC.

I nod to myself while I turn around and storm out of my room. It's not far to Haruka's room, so I'm barely even picking up pace when I reach his door.

There's the nametag, just like on every one of these doors, it has his name written on it in fat black letters and some other information about him in his own handwriting; small letters, he writes carefully and doesn't push down the pen at all.

I knock once.

No reply.

Another knock, harder this time.

Still nothing.

I bite my lower lip, because this cannot wait. I can't wait for Haruka to come back to his room and tell him then.

I lay my hand on the doorknob, it'll open for me since we don't have locks on our doors so nurses can barge in at any time without needing a key. But, still, I hesitate.

My thoughts have been bothering me for a week; I wanted, needed, to see Haruka. All I wanted was to apologize to him for turning his confession down so rudely.

I nod to myself and go inside, thinking maybe I catch him sleeping or maybe he's calling someone and therefore he can't answer me when I knocked on the door.

But the room is completely empty.

His bed is made, but his desk is a big mess; drawing supplies and notebooks are scattered around the wooden surface and there are marker stains all over it.

I walk inside, slowly looking at his room as I wander towards the open window.

It's raining into his room, but that's not my biggest concern. I wonder why his room looks this bare, not at all homey.

You would think that after being here for about a month Haruka would've decorated his room a little, but there's not much personal stuff in here. There aren't any posters on the walls, no pictures to be found and the only things that are a little more personal are his clothes, bedding and drawing supplies.

It kind of makes me sad, seeing how he acts like he's adjusted to living here while his room shows the opposite.

I stand in front of the open window, rain blowing in my face as I try to shut the window so Haruka's room won't be all wet if he gets back from whatever he's doing.

I gaps when I see someone standing on the field, they're glaring at the sky. When I look closer I notice the blue hat and rather muscular figure.

It's Haruka!

I smile and lay my hand on the scar the surgery left me and take a deep breath.

I need to talk to Haruka, now! I've been waiting for this moment for long enough and I have the change to tell him what I've been thinking about right now.

My feet start moving back to the door before I even realize what I'm doing. And quickly after I'm running through the hallways, ready to tell Haruka everything I've been dying to tell him for days. 

___________________________________

Next Chapter:

But for real, what will Makoto tell Haruka???