12. Plants Trying To Strangle People? Why not?

• October 7th, 1998, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry •

The autumn wind blew across the courtyard, bringing the smell of lilies and a few other flowers from the Herbology tents. The skies were clear and the sun was shining brightly. A perfect day for Herbology.

Percy found herself wearing dragon hide gloves, that Argus wouldn't approve, in front of the greenhouses. Argus loved dragons and wanted people to understand and respect them. He didn't appreciate people using these often misunderstood creatures for commercial purposes even if they were dead.

It had been almost two weeks since their achievement of producing a patronus. Nobody knew about it. Though, it was a great achievement, they kept it to themselves. They never spoke about their late night rendezvous on the day. They didn't want it to be overheard by unwanted ears and get detention for being out of bed after curfew.

Also, it was a bit odd and personal. It was their little secret and they wanted it to stay that way. They hadn't met again on the bridge after their own DADA class, both had drifted off into a blissful sleep that they had yearned for months.

"Attention class! Today we'll be revisiting the lesson of our past year. We'll be seeing about how to harvest pods from a Snargaluff." Professor Sprout announced merrily, bringing Percy out of her thoughts.

The class groaned at the thought of tackling those spiked tentacles again. Professor Sprout's smile dropped. "Shush everyone! This is your NEWTS level, the level that will help you to get a job! You've to take this seriously! No more procrastination and no more excuses! Now, to the Greenhouse five!" She ordered them.

The class, obediently, went to the greenhouse on the far right. Professor Sprout followed them inside, urging them to go faster. When they had reached the door to the greenhouse, she stopped them.

"You'll work as pairs," the students looked at their friends, "assigned by me." And when they heard those dreaded words, their smiles disappeared.
"No arguments!" Professor Sprout said clearly, leaving no room for argument.

She then divided everyone into pairs and assigned a plant for each. Percy was stuck with Michael Corner, a Ravenclaw. Michael was a tall guy with long brown hair and brown eyes. He never really spoke much and mostly kept it to himself.

When they were sorted and assigned to separate tables, Professor Sprout spoke again. "Now, who can tell me about Snargaluffs?"

Unsurprisingly, Hermione's hand shot up. Few other students raised their hands too and the others were either too busy glaring at their partner  (a certain redhead) or chatting away with their partners. Percy felt really bad for Hannah who was paired with Theo. The poor girl was ready to run away from him because of his endless flirting.

Professor Sprout chose Neville, who was paired with Draco. "The Snargaluff is a magical plant with the appearance of a gnarled stump, but had dangerous hidden thorn-covered vines that attacks when provoked. We use the juice extracted from the pods for potion making."