17. A Call From Home

• July, 1998, Argo II •

July, 1998, Argo II

Black.

That was what she saw. Black, the color labeled as evil and a color that represented immense sadness. The color one wears for a funeral. She had asked her mother once when she attended a person's funeral for the first time. She couldn't even remember the person's name but she remembered the answer to her question very well.

"Mommy, mommy," Four year old Percy tugged her mother's black dress.

"What is it, baby?" Sally asked her daughter gently.

"Why were they crying Mommy?" She looked up with her big eyes, full of innocence.

Sally stopped abruptly on the scarce sidewalk, making her child look up at her in concern. She was suddenly hit with the memory of her parents, she had refused to believe that they were dead, but she couldn't avoid the truth for long. She felt her heart being ripped out of her, the guilt weighing her down making her go numb and inactive for days.

She didn't have the chance to thank them, to love them, to apologize for everything. It was too soon, very soon. She regretted every petty fight with them, each word she had tried to say that was always swallowed by herself. She wished they could have had more time, maybe they could have filled the silent days with words and laughter.

"Mommy, are you okay, Mommy?" she was now well aware of her child tugging at her dress and grabbing her wrist to snap her out of it.

Sally crouched in front of the toddler and tucked a strand of hair behind her daughter's ear that had somehow come out of her tight ponytail. "I'm okay, Percy." she offered her a watery smile. "People cry at funerals because regret is more overwhelming than gratitude."

Percy gave her mother a confused look. She tilted her head to the side and bit her lip, trying to comprehend what she just said. Sally laughed and ruffled her hair. "You'll understand when you get older, darling." Though, she mentally hoped her little daughter wouldn't have to go through any of this but she knew it was inevitable.

Percy clenched her fist and closed her eyes. I understand now, Mom, she thought. The emotions were overwhelming, suffocating even. It made her change the lively blue of the water to black, literally black. The same black she had succumbed to in hell. It wasn't terrifying but it pleased her and that disgusted her. She could never forget the fear on Annabeth's face. She had seen the girl roll her eyes at titans but she was scared of her, a mere demigod. A demigod with inhumane powers, she corrected herself.

The sea had begun to churn again, acting by its master's wishes. She could just imagine the green poison on her hands with red mixed with it creating a grosteque picture. Her breathing accelerated and she could hear the screams and pleads of the goddess that she almost killed. The ship sawyed making her almost lose her balance.