35. Are You Really There?

• 20th December, 1998, Malfoy Manor •

Draco was startled to say the least when he had come downstairs. Laughter, a rare sound, echoed in the walls of the manor. These walls had not heard such a musical sound in years. The gloomy atmosphere of the place had shifted like the grey clouds had floated across leaving way for the sunshine because of the melodious sound which were unlike the short chuckles; it was full blown laughter.

His own face split into a grin at the image of his mother wiping tears of mirth. It had been so long since she had laughed this hard that he had almost forgotten it but he caught onto it. The memory of her smiling face that was faded into the disappearing rainbow had become clearer than ever. He blinked furiously.

His gaze then shifted to the girl who sat beside his mother on the couch. If he had not been a Malfoy, he was sure that his jaw would have been on the floor. There on the couch was none other than Percy. His brow rose at the laughing demigod. What was she doing here?

"Oh!" Narcissa exclaimed, her gaze set on his son who was at the top of the stairs. "Draco!"

She rushed to the blond who still had his eyes set on the girl who followed his mother. His limbs worked on its own and took him downstairs. "How are you feeling dear?" She laid the back of her hand on his forehead.

"Fine mother," he said with a smile. He was one of the very few people who had seen the soft side of Narcissa Malfoy and he was both honoured and if not a bit anxious for it.

"I'll get you something to eat."

"It's fine mother." He tried to tell her but she had already taken off towards the kitchen. He shook his head at her with a smile.

"Are you okay?" Percy moved near him, her hand ghosted over his shoulder.

"I'm fine." He gave her a reassuring smile. "What're you doing here?"

She pouted and put her hand over her heart as she gasped. "Am I not welcome here?!"

He rolled his eyes at her. "You know what I mean."

She smiled. "Blaise told me that you were sick so I came to visit you yesterday and 'Cissa," she jabbed her thumb towards the kitchen. "Invited me today."

His brow almost got lost in his hairline. "'Cissa'"

Her smile turned into a full blown grin. "Yep! Your mom's awesome!"

"Unbelievable," he muttered, shaking his head at the floor. He was only passed out for two days and these things had happened?