Chapter 23. Skin Against Skin.

I wake up, but I find myself in the same spot. I could see dripped blood on the cold wet concrete. It was still raining and I was completely soaked. I get up but my body was really sore.

I decide to walk to the tree. Everything was still dark so I could only assume it was no later than 2 a.m. I stumble and almost fall a couple of times walking to the tree.

As i reach about 40 feet away i see Soda still at the tree, but this time he is sitting down against it. I then quickly walk over to him.

I fall next to him crying clenching my fists. " I'm sorry Soda ! I'm sorry !!" I could hear Soda crying but trying to respond to me. I could tell he wanted to re assure me like all the other times he did.

As i start to sit down against the tree Soda begins to say while crying, breathing heavily. " Pony was a good kid, the best brother I could have asked for..."

I close my eyes then look up towards Soda. " Soda...look it's my fault" Soda's voice shaked. " Its my fault Brodi, I should have known that he was harming himself. I could have stopped him. Brodi he was 15. Just like you. Your age. And he's dead."

I looked down at the damp dirt under my hand. I grabbed it and felt the dirt go under my fingernails. I started to cry and I looked over to Soda. " I'm sorry Soda...I really am."

Soda tried to smile but continued to cry with his shaky voice. " Do you remember that time when... Pony and Steve were with Dally down this hill...i know you know this. But you weren't the only one who noticed Pony's reaction."

I quickly look over at Soda. Letting go of the dirt from my hand. I wasn't sure whether to cry about Pony. Or that Soda knew all along. When Soda said Dally's name. Yes i thought about that day. But I also thought about Dally's death.

I could tell Soda was in another mood but I decided to bring up Dally. I wiped the left over dirt that was on my hand on my bare skin on my leg. I then finally had the courage to ask Soda, but still crying.  " You knew Dally was going to die didn't you..."