CHAPTER 21

Later, Dan was back at the police station getting ready to interrogate the person responsible for Chloe's hit and run. They'd managed to locate the car and owner of the car through traffic cameras and witnesses. Officers had just gone to pick him up. Dan would also be arranging for William Kinley to be brought in for questioning. He was holding off a little on that in hopes of first getting some evidence on him.

Dan went to his desk to get the file for the hit and run. He'd just picked it up when he noticed Ella coming his way. "Hey, Ella."

"Hey. Have you seen Chloe?" Ella asked. She'd heard about the car crash and Chloe's premature labor. Word had traveled fast through the police station, which wasn't surprising since Chloe and Lucifer worked there.

"Yeah, I just got back from bringing Trixie to see her. She's doing okay. Her injuries are minor," Dan said.

"What about the baby?" Ella asked.

Dan sighed. "He's doing as good as anyone can expect, I suppose. From what I've gathered, he's very small and is having a hard time breathing on his own. But he's still alive, and he's got a good chance with all the advances that have been made for premature babies.

"I can't believe someone did this, and did so intentionally," Ella said with disgust. She'd heard not long after it happened that the theory was that someone had been trying to hurt Chloe and her baby due to a religious nut thinking the baby was the Antichrist.

"I know. They're going to pay for this." Dan vowed.

Ella soon noticed a uniform officer bringing a young guy in. The officer was being a little rougher than was necessary.

Dan looked up to see an officer that manhandling his suspect toward interrogation. The officer looked pissed, which wasn't surprising. No cop responded well when one of their own was attacked. "Yeah, I have to get into interrogation."

"Can I watch in the observation room?" Ella asked. Chloe and Lucifer were her friends. She wanted to know everything that happened with this case.

"Okay, but you need to stay in the observation room. You can't get mad and interrupt."

"I promise."

Dan nodded and headed for the interrogation room. He sat across from twenty-five-year-old Jacob Ross. He was catholic and studied religion is school. Normally, that of course wouldn't be anything bad, but he also had a record of assaults and threats pertaining to clashes in religion. He was perfect for Kinley to use to go after Chloe and Lucifer. "Hello, Mr. Ross."

"Why am I here?" Jacob asked.

"I'm sure you were informed of the charges when you were arrested. We'll start with hit and run and attempted murder."

"I haven't hit anyone," Jacob said.

"No? Several witnesses identified your license plate as the one on the car that fled the scene of hit and run, and we also caught your car on security cameras," Dan said.

"My car was stolen," Jacob said.

Dan chuckled and opened up the file he had with him. He removed a picture from inside. "You guys always say that. You'd think you'd come up with a better lie by now. Was your face also stolen?" He laid the photo down in front of his suspect. It was of him behind the wheel of his car after hitting Chloe. "We pulled that off the security camera too."

Jacob didn't respond.

"It gets worse for you, Mr. Ross. Witnesses saw as you not only hit the other car, but as you chased it, intending on colliding with it. I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the woman you hit is a cop," Dan said.

Again, he didn't respond.

"Do you have any idea how many people you have pisses off. They're going to make an example out of you. Not only did you hit a cop, but you nearly killed her unborn child. You'll be lucky if you ever see the outside of a prison cell again," Dan said.

Jacob slowly smiled. "What I did was a public service?"

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. That thing is the Devil's Spawn, literally. It needs to be destroyed!" Jacob said.

Dan was disgusted by the hate coming out of this piece of scum's mouth. He was condemning a little baby, who had yet to breathe on his own. "What the hell gives you the right to decide that?"

"Not Hell, that's for sure. I'm a servant of God. Everything I do is for him," Jacob said.

"You tried to murder a baby and his mother for God?"

"No, I tried to execute the antichrist. As for the woman, she made her bed when she fornicated with the Devil. It's just a shame they're still alive," he said without remorse.

"I'm going to make sure you spend the rest of your life in prison! The woman is my ex-wife! Her child is my daughter's younger brother!" Dan snarled.

"Then you should be grateful that I attempted to free your child from the Devil's influence, as well as his spawn's. God sent me to stop this evil from coming into the world. I failed, but he will send another," Jacob said.

"Oh, God sent you, huh?" Dan asked mockingly.

"Yes. I was sent emails regarding the Devil and his spawn. I was told to act. God reached out through those emails," Jacob said.

Dan got up and walked out, no longer able to listen to the piece of garbage. He walked over to an officer waiting a few feet away. "Get that bastard out of here. I want him booked now.

The officer nodded and headed for the interrogation room.

Ella walked out of the observation room with a disgusted look on her faced. "That guy is out of his mind! Or a liar."

"I'm not so sure he's either, at least not completely," Dan said.

"You think God is sending him emails?" Ella asked skeptically. She was a big believer in God, which made this whole thing even worse, but she did not believe he'd reach out this way, especially not to murder a baby.

"No, of course not, but I do think someone did. Lucifer and Chloe told me a while ago about a priest that was harassing them. This guy believes Lucifer is actually the Devil. They're both convinced he's behind what happened," Dan explained.

Ella shook her head. "This is horrible, Dan. How can anyone do something so horrible and then use the big guy as an excuse?"

"I know this hits you close to home, and not just because of Chloe and Lucifer," Dan said sympathetically.

"Any priest that would do this is an insult to the cloth and the big guy," Ella said.

"Everyone involved with this will pay. I don't think I'll find much, but I'm going to try to trace those emails. I'll also be bringing in the priest, William Kinley in for questioning. Worst case scenario, I find nothing and Lucifer deals with him personally," Dan said. Normally, he wouldn't condone such a thing, but this monster had targeted a baby. Dan was a father. He believed that anyone that would target a child deserved whatever they got.

"Is it bad that that doesn't bother me?" Ella asked.

"Nope. A part of me won't be bothered if I come up empty this time," Dan said before walking away.