Chapter 44

Jay's POV
I walked in the room to see her intubated once again, letting the feeling of déjà vu wash over me. Two surgeries and two tragedies happening to her in the span of a month, losing a friend, breaking sobriety and getting clean in the span of two months, she has been through hell and back. She's got enough shit happening to her that it could last somebody a lifetime.

I quietly dragged a chair and sat beside her bed, taking her hand in mine and stroking it gently, careful not to hurt her as I noticed some marks from the handcuffs, letting a small smile appear on my face when I knew that she kept tugging her arms to try to set herself free, and that she did fight for her life instead of just giving up. That thought provided some comfort, knowing that she was no longer giving up on life, like how she was a few weeks ago. "My lil' badass feisty fighter," I thought to myself.

I looked up and analyzed her face. Even with the black eyes, fractured bones and various cuts and bruises plastering her face, all I could see was her beauty. She's still the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life. As I took in every inch of her face, I vowed to myself that I would do anything to protect her. I allowed my mind to wander once again.

After around an hour, and minor twitches here and there, she finally opened her eyes. I could see confusion in her eyes as she looked around before panic flashed in her eyes and she started panicking. I instantly pressed the button to call the nurse as I tried to talk to her, trying to calm her.

Nurses and doctors came into the room as I stood near the wall to give them some space to work. I didn't know what they were doing or saying, it just felt like time stopped even though everything was moving so quickly. All I noticed was them extubating her and injecting various things into her. Once she was a lot more aware with her surroundings and way calmer, Connor asked her some questions. I spaced out throughout the whole thing, but when I snapped back to reality, I heard her asking about something I hadn't thought of.

"Am I on any pain killers? If yes, what?" Erin asked softly, looking at Connor.

"Yes you are. We gave you morphine. I know about your history, however, I had no choice but to give it to you because I didn't have orders from you. I can stop it right now, but I'm telling you that you will be in an immense amount of pain if I do so," Connor explained.

Erin nodded. "I know. I want it stopped," Erin stated firmly.

I saw Connor stop the morphine drip and take out the needle that was administering it. After talking for some more time, Connor finally left the room, leaving me alone with her.

I slowly walked towards her, not wanting to trigger anything. Erin's eyes met mine and they immediately welled up in tears. "Jay," she whispered.

"Erin, yes it's me... You're okay and safe now," I reassured, sitting down on her bed and taking her hand in mind.

"I'm so sorry Jay. I'm sorry," she cried as she bursted out in tears...
-
Kinda a short filler chapter :)

Instagram: @linstead_love