Chapter Forty-Eight

(Nicolette's POV)

I smiled, and sat on the couch, texting Vinny, waiting for him to come pick me up. Montana had left, the room had lost some type of awkwardness, but it was still here, considering Melinda had just left me and Gab alone. She looked down at her phone, her fingers moving rapidly across her keyboard. She looked up at me, and sighed. "Nicolette, I need to talk to you." A gasp escaped my mouth over the fact that she had actually spoken to me. Ever since we met, we had talked, once, and once only. When I yelled at her in the car the first day we met. From then on, I thought it was sorta just agreed that we hated each other and should never socialize except for the occasional insult. I guess not. I sat forward, and my legs crossed. "Yes?" She stood up, and sat next to me. "It's about the contest." My eyes widened, what was she going to say? Was she going to insult me and say I had no chance of winning? Cause if she does, I will slap her. "I'm not going to insult you. I need to talk to you about something serious." She said, her eyes glistened with sincerity. "Yes?" I asked again, my curiousity eating away at me. "Do you care about Melinda?" She started, looking at me seriously. "Of course." I said. Her eyebrows raised, and she crossed her legs. "Really?" "Yes. I really do." I nodded. "Do you remember how you felt when you saw Vinny with me?" She asked. My body tensed up, and anger flooded through me. "Yes." I mumbled, my teeth gritting together. "How did that make you feel?" She asked, now leaning forward. "Angry, jealous.... But mostly upset. I knew I loved him more than anyone else in this world and I needed to be with him." I said, my heart fluttering at the thought of him. "So, would you ever want anyone you care about feeling that way?" Gab asked. I quickly shook my head. "Absolutely not." "Well, that's exactly how Melinda is feeling right now. She's absolutely in love with Mikey, and seeing Montana with him kills her a little inside, every single day." Gab said. "I know..." I sighed. "Now, I know a way we can fix this, but I need you to support me in it." "What would I have to do?" I asked. "Give up the contest and let Montana win." Gab said, her eyes full of hope. I sighed, I knew she was gonna say that. I bit my nails, trying to think of what to do. I love Melinda, but I love Montana too. I finally took a deep breath, and made my decision. "Fine. I'll do it. but on one condition." "Yes?" Gab asked. "You never take Vinny away from me." I said, looking straight in her eyes. I saw a glisten of hurt, but she sighed, and shook my hand. "You've got yourself a deal." I smiled, and shook her hand. Looks like things are going to work out fine...