Chapter 42

"Okay. Are you ready?" Valor asked Aspen, who was taking off his jacket and tossing it to the side. He slid out a peculiar weapon, with a sleek brown handle and thin pipage. He reached down into his belt that Valor had never noticed before which was hidden under his jacket, and returned with a handful of small bullets.

Valor squinted at the gun. "Wow. What kind of gun is that?"

He shoved the bullets in quickly and shot the weapon up into the sky. He flashed a swift pull on the trigger and an explosive sharp pow! filled their ears. A few seconds later, he held out his hand, and the same bullet fired upon the sky dropped back into his palm. "Nambu type fourteen," he answered. "From Japan."

"J-Japan?" Valor's jaw dropped. How had he gone to the ancestral side of the world and retrieved that?

"Oh please," a voice rang from behind them. Vale was staring at them with his arms folded into his regular manner. "You and your silly guns."

"It's not silly!" Aspen growled back at him. "These are rare to get a hold of these days."

"When did you even get it then?"

Aspen said nothing and just pretended to be polishing his weaponry. Vale scoffed.

"See?" He turned to Valor. "He's lying."

"It is a Nambu 14!" he claimed.

"No, it's not!"

"Yes, it is!"

"Haha, NO IT'S NOT!"

"IT IS!"

"Then prove it you son of a bitch! I bet I know more about weapons than you do!"

"I will freaking shoot you!"

"You guys are acting like little kids!" Valor snapped at them. "Grow up!" Vale bit his lip as Astronomy nuzzled his shin with his cheek. Vale's eyes softened a little as he picked up the small cat and perched it on his shoulder.

There was a short moment of silence until Aspen spoke, "My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather got it. He was in World War 2."

There was a moment of silence before Vale blinked blankly and sighed. "Yeah. He's definitely lying."

Vale gave him a blank look then shook his head. "How did it get into your hands?"

"We just passed it on. To remember him. I mean, World War 3 happened not long after that, and Japan somehow got involved, and he got murdered."

"Did he die losing to the opposing side?" Vale asked him.

"...Yes."

"Then it was more of a defeat than a murder."

"Whatever. My grandfather gave it to me, in Hukamari."

"Wait... your grandfather trusted YOU with it?"

Aspen gave him a dirty look. "Don't you have something better to do?" He rolled his eyes. "I'm trying to train her, and I don't think your existence here is helping."

Vale raised his hands in the air and casually dropped them, walking away and back into the home.

"When did World War 3 happen again?" Valor wondered.

Aspen shrugged. "I don't know. I don't pay attention in History. Anyways, are we battling with weapons? Or hand to hand combat?"

"Let's try weapons first."

"Yeah, except you don't need weapons."

"Right. So you'll easily be defeated. Perfect!"

"Hah. We'll see about that." He leered at her and pulled out another weapon, much bigger and advanced.