Hmm.

In a span of one day, two people asked me the same question:

“Kamusta ka na ba?”

After some time, I realized, I answered them differently.

I once had a discussion about this with Jwyn. However, we talked about the difference of asking that question to a person you're currently close with and a person you haven't talked to in a while.

In conclusion, people you're in constant communication with ask the question in a certain way. Like this:

“Kamusta na *insert a portion of your life right now*?”

For example:

“Kamusta na si Ces?”

Meanwhile, people you haven't talked to in a while ask the generic, “kamusta ka na ba?”

It's just an observation, though.

Now back to how I answered the generic question differently.

I realized that you'll answer in a way that person will understand.

Which in turn, made me realize that even in answering that question, we put other people's comfort first. Or maybe we just want to be understood so we answer in a way the other person will undersand.

Either way, unless you use the generic answer of “Okay lang” to the generic question, “Kamusta ka na?” you're more likely to answer the question in a way they can relate.

For example, one of the people who asked me is a classmate so I answered a school-related answer. The other one is someone I met through writing so I answered the question with what is happening in my writing life right now.

It's nice, really. But I guess, it'll be nicer if you'll find a person with whom you can answer with every aspect of your life when s/he asks you “kamusta ka na?”