fiction

a lot of times, i hear people say things like, "why do you care so much? they're not real."

or, if they're real, "why do you care so much, these people doesn't know you and don't care about you."

i'm a person who has limited of fucks to give. so when i give it, i give it.

i mean it.

i've been told i see things past the surface and dig things up. and, i kind of agree because i try to make sense of things until i come up with something that won't launch a debate in my head.

which is why when i saw this one comment that said, "bro, she's a fictional character. we can hate her."

it triggered this whole blab. and my blood.

for numerous reasons.

to understand where i am coming from, i wanna reiterate (mostly to meself) that i write. and before that, i enjoy reading and consuming just about any story i can get my hands into.

mind you, for me to finish a game, it has to have a good storyline, among other things. or at least, something that keeps me thinking enough to continue playing. (unless i had to wait, for whatever game feature, and is part of the game, then all of that will be for naught.)

with that been established, i believe there's more to every character than their fictionality.

there are different lens in literature criticism to which people use to examine a piece of literature. i won't say i'm a huge expert on it so i won't dive into each lens, but it does make most of the fiber in my being pulse in existence and excitement.

think of it as an eyeglasses you can wear to view the story based on the things the eyeglasses is focused into.

or a microscope lens that lets you focus into one factor and see the whole piece through it.

some of the ones that you may be familiar with are deconstruction, structuralism, formalism, reader-response, biographical, marxist and feminist.

taking this in mind, each piece of literature or story, can be seen via a specific lens.

like, you can look at Hajime No Ippo (popularly known in the PH as Knock Out) through the biographical lens. which will prompt you to look into the biography of the creator and see why it is the way it is. you see the settings and how it affect the story. how it added nuances to the story and that made it more fleshed out. more real.

more relatable.

because they all come from a real place and space. though fictional, they represent something. or someone.

to an extent, each piece of literature mean something different once you looked at it with different lens. in a way, it says something to us whether it be the class disparity during the time it was created or the culture of the time, the life and psychological state of the author, us as a consumer of said literature and a whole lot more.

so to think that it's perfectly okay to hate a character just because they're fictional doesn't sit well with me.

they are more than their fictionality because they come from something, some place and someone real.

aside from that, i dunno if this is how people create in general, but characters aren't created just out of nowhere.

sabi nga ni ate rayne, more often than not there's a muse to every character. though it would depend at the creator as well because there are also times when characters are also used for the purpose of being the villain alone. to be hated.