41

After school, Peter stepped into the detention room with a heavy sigh. He was anxious to return to MJ, to kiss her forehead, say hello to their baby, and lay next to her until he had to leave. But, those were only things he could fantasize about until he was allowed to exit the school... in four hours. 

He sat down with a sigh, prepared to be silent for the next hours. 

"Parker, what are you doing in here?" The sleepy coach/detention supervisor asked as he looked up from his computer. 

"I wasn't paying attention in class," Peter explained, "then I got another hour added because I asked what we were supposed to be doing."

Mr. Wilson shook his head slightly, "go."

Peter looked up at him with a frown, "what?"

"Kid, I don't want you here and I know you don't wanna be here. So leave, I'll say you did your time," Mr. Wilson stated.

Peter gaped slightly, "th-thank you, sir. You have no idea how much this means," he stood back up and picked up his backpack.

Mr. Wilson waved him off and the boy hurried out of the classroom. Why are people being nice to me today? Peter wondered to himself, I guess Mr. Wilson is normally pretty chill, but he flat out let me skip detention. He didn't just let me skip, he fucking told me to skip.

Peter broke into a broad grin as he jogged out the doors of the school. His eyes wandered in every direction as he tried to remember the way to the hospital from his school. 

"C'mon brain, don't make me use Google Maps," Peter quietly begged, "that's so embarrassing, you're so stupid," he added in a hushed tone.

"Get your ass in the car," a sharp voice ordered. 

Peter looked up to see Natasha in her jet black car. Peter nodded quickly, ignoring his heart which decided to become sixty years old and go into cardiac arrest. He could never read Natasha, not her expression, her voice, her body language— nothing. It was safest to assume he was in trouble.

He quickly climbed into the passenger's seat of her car without a word and allowed her to drive him to the hospital.

"Kid, you look like a ghost," Natasha observed, her voice much more relaxed than usual, "calm down."

"Sorry," Peter sighed, "I- uh. I thought I was in trouble."

"Why would you think that?" 

"I dunno. You're kinda scary," Peter admitted then internally facepalmed.

Natasha flashed a lopsided smile, "thank you. But you're not in trouble."

"Really?"

"Now I'm concerned. Did you do something that I should be mad at you for?" Natasha glanced at him. 

Peter almost laughed, "uh- no. Not yet I mean. But..." he sighed and looked out his window, "we used to be really close, but after," he gestured to his metal legs, "that, it seems like you're always mad at me. I just wish we were friends again."

"Tell me what changed from a year ago to now, and don't just say loosing your legs," Natasha demanded. 

Peter thought a moment, "I became an alcoholic- oh."

She nodded, "exactly. It's hard for me to be mad at you, but alcoholism," she shook her head with a sigh, "if nothing else, I was angry with myself for not noticing before it got as bad as it did."

Peter was quiet for a few beats. Awkward guilt fumbled around in his stomach as he thought about her words. I really let these people down... 

"I-I'm sorry," Peter finally said.

"I wish I could say it was alright, but until you prove to me that your alcoholism is one hundred percent a thing of the past, I won't forgive you. And neither should anyone else."

'I won't forgive you' stabbed Peter right in the chest, making him visibly wince. 

"That's fair," he nodded stiffly.

He knew he deserved it, but that didn't make her words any less painful. He stole one more glance at her and gazed at her eyes for a moment. They were heavy with disappointment and held a shadow of fierce anger. It reminded him so vividly of the look Aunt May had given him over and over again before she finally gave up and abandoned him. 

He loved Natasha like a mother, he couldn't loose her. 

"... please don't leave me," Peter averted his gaze as he anxiously chewed on his lower lip.

Natasha furrowed her brow and looked over at Peter, "I'd never leave you. Don't ever think that again. Look at me," he obeyed, "trust me when I say this: I will never give up on you. Okay? I'll always be here for you, Паук ребенок."

Peter took a deep breath and nodded, "I trust you... thank you, Паук мама."

Natasha's expression soften into a smile as she slowed to a stop in front of the hospital, "go take care of your girlfriend."

Peter opened the car door and stepped out, "I will."

People are being nice to me. The world is definitely ending. Peter thought as he hurried through the doors.