54

"I'm just saying you need to understand Peter's side of the argument. He's the one who got cheated on, not you," Adrian was explaining as he sat in the living room with his sister.

"I realize that, but if he doesn't really want to take care of Natalia, he should just fucking leave," MJ spat in reply, "we'd be better off without him."

"We both know that's not true," Adrian huffed, "he really loves you, that's why he's taking care of Natalia. He doesn't want to lose you. And if you don't want to lose him, I suggest you start acting like you love him too."

MJ heaved a sigh, going silent as her mind traveled. Adrian stayed quiet, letting her think as he fidgeted with his hands. 

"Do you think I should have aborted?" MJ mumbled somberly, "do you think Peter and I would've been better off without her?"

Adrian almost laughed, "no. Peter got sober for Natalia, do you really think he would've done that without her?"

MJ's lips quirked into a sad smile, "no, he wouldn't have."

"Exactly. And when you see the way Peter looks at her, you can tell he really does love her. Even if she isn't his child, she's your child and— let's face it— Peter loves all things relating to you."

"I swear i don't deserve him," MJ admitted.

"No, I think you're both pretty perfect for each other. Like you both kinda suck in your own ways so you balance each other out," He shrugged.

MJ laughed softly, "gee thanks..." 

Her voice trailed off and her joy faded as she  assessed her situation. Peter really did not have to take care of Natalia. But he was because he wanted to and he loved them both. But Natalia was not his, it would take a blind man to ignore that fact. She sighed heavily, of course Peter couldn't stop worrying about her cheating again! She couldn't ignore the fact that his anxiety was not helping the situation, but she had also waited until he was blackout drunk to run off with Luke then lied to him and said Peter wouldn't care if they had sex. Peter's trust was a fragile thing and it seemed she still needed to gain it back.

"I-" she was cut off by her phone ringing.

"Who is it?" Adrian asked as she picked up her phone.

"Rhodes," MJ huffed.

"Who?"

"One of Peter's dads or uncles or something- I don't really know he's got a really confusing family dynamic."

"Oh, you should probably answer it then."

MJ sighed and thought: at least it's not Tony. She answered the call and Adrian averted his gaze to his hands. 

"What do you want?"

As she spoke, Adrian couldn't help but observe the increasing concern in her expression. He heard something about cancer and her hands started shaking. He reached forward and held one of her hands gently, worry building up in his own chest. 

"... if my boyfriend's gonna die, I want you to tell me first," MJ managed, making Adrian's breath hitch.

She said her goodbyes then hung up, keeping her eyes closed for a few moments as if to gather herself. It's probably nothing, she told herself, I know he's been a little off lately, but that's normal. Peter's always a little off, there's no being 'on' for him. She drew her hand away from Adrian and ran her fingers through her hair like combs.

"Is Peter okay?" Adrian muttered after a moment.

"Yeah," MJ said, not believing herself.

"Please tell the truth."