58

"Wh-what?" MJ croaked weakly.

"Our relationship isn't working out anymore," Peter repeated, his voice wavering horribly, "but I really want- I really need it to. MJ, I know I don't act like it all the time but I love you to death. I swear, I do."

She choked out an overwhelmed sob then ran her hand through her hair as she replied, "I-i know, Peter," she took a deep breath to calm her crazed emotions before they could take over, "wh-what do you think w-we need to do to fix this."

Peter suspired and thought briefly about his response,"I... this loop of fighting and apologizing isn't getting us anywhere. It has to stop."

"Yeah, I agree," MJ finally managed to even out her tone.

"I don't think words are enough and I'm tired wondering if we're even dating after every fight," Peter admitted.

"Yeah," she sighed, "my mom could take care of Natalia for the rest of the day, we could meet up somewhere and figure this out."

"I think we should meet in a cafe or somewhere public, just so... y'know," he ran his hand through his hair, "just so we don't fight."

MJ frowned, "Um... yeah that's fine. Maybe that pizza place you like?"

"If you're okay with it-"

"I'm okay with it, that's why I suggested it."

Peter sighed deeply, "right, yeah... I love you."

MJ hesitated a moment the wiped a few drying tears off her cheeks, "I'll see you in twenty?"

"Yep. Can you tell Natalia I love her?"

MJ chuckled with a fond smile, "you dork, she doesn't know what you're saying."

"I know, but still."

"Why don't you tell her yourself?" She offered then held the phone by her baby.

Natalia babbled happily into the microphone and MJ could hear Peter's quiet, sweet laugh on the other end of the line. Peter replied with chuckling and an 'I love you,' resulting in more giddy babbles from his daughter. Michelle could only watch the exchange of coos and giggles with a bright smile and pure joy. It amazed her to see Natalia so lit up with happiness at the sound of her father's voice which was just beginning to sound familiar to her. Despite being too young to express herself, MJ knew how blithe she felt. She didn't know how she knew, she just did.

Finally, she brought the phone back to her ear and Natalia's mumbling stopped.

"Thank you, Em," Peter said gratefully, "I'll see you in twenty?"

"No problem," she replied softly, "I'll see you in twenty."

With that, she hung up then smiled down at her baby. Natalia's gaze wondered around the room as she was lifted into her mother's arms and carried out of the bedroom.

"Hey, Ma," MJ called as she entered the kitchen were her mother chatted with Adrian, "can you and Adrian take care of Natalia for the rest of the day?"

Adrian smiled brightly, "yes."

MJ chuckled at his eagerness then gingerly placed her baby in his arms. Nora raised an eyebrow and observed her daughter as she kissed Natalia's head gently. She could see MJ's hesitance to leave the little girl; the look on her face that said 'maybe she can come with me, I don't have to leave her.' It was a feeling Nora knew well, like her children had become somewhat of a part of her and shouldn't leave her side ever. Of course, with time this feeling had faded to the point she rarely felt it.