The Hospital

I opened my eyes but everything was blurry and I extremely bright and white. Where was I? I blinked a few times and slowly everything came into focus. I was in a hospital room but why? I looked to my right and found Two-Bit in a chair beside me, asleep and holding my hand. “Two-Bit” I whispered and shook his hand. “Kate?” his morning voice was so sexy it melted me inside.  “oh Kate thank god you’re awake!”

Kate: How long have I been out?

Two-Bit: 2 days…

Kate: What happened?

Two-Bit: you don’t remember?

I shook my head I was really confused I couldn’t remember a thing.

Two-Bit: Kate, you were stabbed by some Soc . He said slowly

Kate: I-I was?

Suddenly everything came back to me, Pony boy and Johnny the stabbing and Dallas. Tears welled up in my eyes. Two-Bit just looked at me and tried to calm me down he started stroking my hair. After I was calm I just laid there for a bit. “Hey Two-Bit, how long have you been here?”

Two-Bit: ever since you were stabbed, I thought I’d lost you, you just went limb in my arms and were barely breathin’ and-and the blood….

Two-Bit was crying I tried to get up so I could my forehead to his but I felt a sudden sharp pain in my right side. “Come here” I motioned with my finger. He put his head to mine and I placed my hands on either side of his face.  “I’m never going to leave you Two-Bit I have waited too long.” A smile spread across his lips. “I think you mean you stuffed around for to long” he retorted.  “Wait I remembered something, what’s this about you gonna marry me?”. Two’s face went blank “oh y-you heard that?” “I sure did” I laughed “well I mean it Kate I am gonna marry you one day.” “Oh shoot, Two, you’ve gone red! But just so you know when you ask I’ will say yes.” Then Two-bit lent down and kissed me gently on the lips. “Oh yeah the gang is out there waiting to see you shall I send them in?”.  “Uh yes!” I giggled.  

Two opened the door and all at once they came flooding in. They were all smiling except for Darry and Soda.

Steve: Hey look Sleeping beauty’s awake!

Two-Bit: awh lay off her man.

Steve: Why because you’re both love birds?

Two-Bit and Steve then started wrestling with each other and it was pretty funny.

Soda: Hey Kate, how are you feeling?

Kate: Like shit buddy.

Soda: I get that.

He smiled but not a good smile his eyes looked tried and he had big bags under his eyes it was obvious he hadn’t slept in days meaning Ponyboy and Johnny still weren’t home yet.

Kate: Darry, Soda go home get some sleep and eat for peaks sake please!! No point being here.

Darry: yeah good idea Kate. We will see you later.

Kate: yeah see ya then guys.

Two-Bit and Steve had finally stopped wrestling and were now sitting on chairs out of breath.  I just laughed they could be so funny sometimes. “Hey anyone got a cancer stick?” I asked “yeah here you go babe”. “Thanks Two.” I smiled. “Well I gotta go now babe we both do I will come and visit you later.” As he said that he kissed me goodbye and went out the door. I was by myself so I just laid there and thought about everything that had happened in the past 4 days. Then I heard someone cough it was the doctor.  “Oh. Hey there Doc.” I sounded quite cheerful considering.

Doc: Miss Williams I am glad to see you’re awake

Kate: Thanks me too.- I giggled “and please call me Kate”

Doc: Now Kate you can go home tomorrow if you like but you must stay in bed…understand?

Kate: yeah Doc of course thanks- that made me real happy.

Doc: Kate I am afraid I have some bad news.  Where the knife hit and how deeply it went in its highly unlikely you will ever be able to have children. I’m sorry Kate.

I just laid there in shock it’s not that I had ever really thought about having kids but now to have it taken away from me…it wasn’t fair none of this was fair!! I hated those Socs for doing this to me!!

Doc: call me if you need anything Kate.

It felt like hours I just laid there staring at the roof thinking about me not having kids. “Kate?” it was Dally and as soon as I saw him I just burst into tears. Why was I crying so much lately?

Dally: Kate what’s the matter?

Kate: Dally I can’t have kids…those fucking Socs took away my right to have kids man. I hate them so much.

I said this as he came over and held my hand.

Dally: oh Kate I’m sorry. But hey I hate kids anyway they’re nothing but trouble and if they grew up to be me well then you would’ve been in real trouble.

I laughed Dally made me laugh in my darkest time. He was pretty good.

Kate: oh shoot Dally you ain’t that bad. Sure you may have robbed a few stores, stole a few things, lied to the fuzz a couple of dozen times, broke the law…yeah ok I get your point.-I said mockingly.

Dally: Kate I’m sorry about the other night.

Kate: don’t worry about it Dally I understand.

Dally: Kate when I heard you were stabbed it nearly killed me because I didn’t know if you were alive or not. When I find this Soc I am gonna get him real good.

Kate: yeah you and Two both- I laughed.

Dally: so when can you go home?

Kate: Doc says tomorrow but I have to say in bed.

Dally: So you must be pretty ticked about the rumble  huh?

I looked at him confused.

Kate: what rumble?

Dally: Two-Bit didn’t tell you. We just had a meeting with Socs that settled everything. We are having a rumble in 3 days. Greasers win they don’t come in our territory Socs win things go on the way they are…all out warfare over the city.

Kate: ARGH!!!! I got to be in that rumble Dally!!

Dally: It’s not up to me Kate. Anyway I got to go now I’m going to see Johnny and Ponyboy tomorrow.

Kate:  Right. Say hi for me and here- I took some money from the table which had my other belongings with it from the incident and gave it to him- buy them some food ok?

Dally: sure Kate. He smiled and then left.