the next morning

I woke up the next morning on the Curtis’s couch wrapped in Two’s arms, I wanted to stay there all day but I was starving so I carefully got up so not to wake him. I looked around and saw Steve in the armchair fast asleep I guess we all must have crashed here last night. I tiptoed to the icebox to get some chocolate cake but there was none there so I decided to treat the boys. I got out the ingredients to make pancakes and cooked them up I also cooked up some bacon and once it was all served on the table I yelled out “breakfast!!” and 5 hungry boys came barging in and sat down at the table helping themselves. “Thanks Kate” Soda said. “You’re more than welcome this is just my way of saying thankyou for yesterday.” I smiled and walked in to do the dishes. “Kate leave ‘em Soda and Pony will wash them.” Darry said with a mouthful of food. “Ok” I shouted back and joined the others who had actually left some for me. We all scoffed down breakfast but it felt weird without Dally and Johnny here. “Hey Kate your birthdays coming up soon isn’t it?” Pony asked. “Oh yeah I suppose so, my times all out of whack since the coma.” I said as I patted my full stomach.  “and summer’s coming up, so I thought we could all go camping for Kate’s birthday.” Pony sounded excited at the idea. “That’s a great idea Pony, I’m sure the boys could get some time of work and we won’t have school…What do you say boys? Please?” I looked at Darry with puppy eyes because I knew ultimately he would be the one to make the decision. “sure, sounds great, we all need some time away from this place why don’t we go for a fortnight?” Darry suggested. “OH MY GOD YES!!” I got really excited and my voice was rising. “great I will make the arrangements, I can’t believe you’re turning 18 Kate…it seems like only yesterday you were a 12 year old rug rat who picked her nose” Darry poked me teasingly. “and ate it” Soda chimed in. “oh shut your traps you two.” I giggled.