Chapter 44: You're All I Need

Thursday, January 1st, 1987

Toronto, Canada

"Happy New Year!" Everyone shouted together. We were at my auntie's house for the New Year celebrating as a family together. I was very happy to be home.

Last year was filled with stress, heartbreak, laughter, and destruction for me. I had to go home in December, and I planned on staying till the end of January. I needed to stop and remind myself of who I am and what I set out to do in LA. I also needed a break away from Slash, Lisa, and everyone else who was around them. But especially Nikki.

I've come to terms that I and I do not belong together. I care for him deeply but it's never going to work. He does drugs, he's a rock star, he's aggressive, he's mean, he's confusing, he's sad, he's angry, he's just a mix-up of emotions that I can't handle. And I find myself stressed out with him more than I am happy. I'm not a relationship expert but I know that our relationship wasn't healthy. I hope he gets help and finds happiness with someone else. Cause it just cannot be me.

"Alright everyone gather around the living room." My uncle says as everyone comes walking in. "I want everyone to forget about everything bad they have gone through last year. We are in a new year trying to start new beginnings. I hope and pray that everyone in this room has forgiven those who have wronged them and those you have wronged. To go on hating, disliking, or holding onto grudges will not give you peace or help you have a fresh start. Let us wash away the sins of our past from last year and start again fresh this year. Let us start this new year with a prayer of the Our Father."

After we finished praying, we all sat around the living room talking and eating. I told everyone about the fun things I have been doing in LA and also the fashion weeks in London, Paris, Milan, and New York. Of course, they also wanted to know about the gossip that was going on about me and Nikki. I denied it all and said that it was all lies.

The doorbell rang and my sister got up to go and get it. "Hey guys you will never believe who is here!" She shouted. We all turned around to see Ola, Slash, and Albion. My mom got up to give them all a hug as well as my sisters. I got up and gave Ola and Albion a hug and side-eyed Slash a bit. I was kind of angry with him. We all settled down in the living room, Albion was playing with Maya and Slash started telling stories of his band to my whole family. Everyone was shocked that he and my mom were even friends. Especially because my mom hated rockers.

"So is your band big yet or not?" Selena asks.

"Well we're big playing in the clubs but not that big enough yet to have our tour," Slash says.

"Hope we get to hear you play when we come down to LA next time," Felicia says.

"Uh no! You will not be going to any LA rock clubs." My mom warns. "I love you Saul but I don't want my girls in that type of setting."

"It's not bad, I mean you have the groupies that are there but for the most part I would be taking care of them," Slash said.

"It is bad," I spoke up. Everyone turned to look at me. "The rock clubs, the rock stars, the lifestyle it's all a mess. And I agree with you Mommy a hundred percent that we should stay far far far away from it." I sneered looking at Slash. I got up and headed into the kitchen to grab another plate of food.