Chapter 56: Checking In

January 1988

Rehab counseling session

The boys and I all checked into rehab together. We had a band meeting with Doc and Doug which left us with no choice. We had to cancel the European tour and pay back the promoters out of our own pockets. It wasn't easy getting all of us to go. We had to drag Vince kicking and screaming. I did feel bad for him. When he was trying to get clean, we didn't support him, but when I overdosed, we all had to come to rehab. I know he's really angry about that and I don't blame him. Tommy has been taking rehab seriously, his marriage to Heather was failing and going downhill. I know they have been fighting and he gets aggressive when he's drunk. So, this is his last chance. Mick came to all the group sessions, but he just didn't care about rehab, he was very closed off and didn't show any emotion whatsoever.

I for sure hate being in rehab. Sleeping in is not part of the program, we were expected to rise early in the morning to enjoy a healthy breakfast. If that's what they want to call it. They have different programs that they offer in the morning like yoga or meditation to help us begin the day in a relaxed state of mind. I could see Tommy doing the splits with his long legs. Part of the treatment and recovery process centered on developing new, healthy habits that are intended to become routine in post-discharge life is what they told us. We often have a group session following breakfast led by a counselor or therapist that focuses on topics related to the treatment process, it is called the 12-step program, addiction and recovery. These daily meetings are supposed to help us begin to recognize patterns of behavior we can change or certain triggers to avoid post-treatment.