Ch.32

With Junior: 

The youngest Koopaling was wandering around Ludwig’s castle, trying to locate the alleged ‘safe’ the oldest Koopaling had told him about. 

In hindsight, he should have probably asked Ludwig if he had any coins hidden somewhere in his castle instead of going to the dinner in the nearby town to steal something to eat. 

It didn’t matter to him, anyway, since he had done it a few times before. 

As he walked down the main hall with the many skewer traps, he caught sight of the control room.

The control room was located at the very end of the main hall with the skewers and moving platforms, near the battle tower. It was hidden away behind a wall, but can easily be opened by pushing the different colored brick that was a lighter shade as opposed to the rest of the bricks that made up the castle. 

Wondering if the safe was located in the control room, Junior quickly dashed over to it, pushing on the lighter shaded brick and watched as the secret door slowly opened, peeking his head inside. 

The control room for the traps and moving platforms wasn’t very small, being as big as a CEO’s office. There was a control panel that turned on the skewers, and a separate control panel for all of the moving platforms. Hanging on the wall in front of the control panels, there were several monitors angled down, all of them being turned off. 

If the monitors were to be on, they would be showing live surveillance footage of all the halls on the first floor, including the battle in the castle’s tower. 

Their last battle with the Mario brothers had been in their castles, the third or fourth time actually. 

They hadn’t fought in their castles in years, until their last battle, so they had to do some quick repairs on the traps. 

They all had to walk back, since the Mario brothers had destroyed the engine for Bowser’s airship, having fought Junior and Kammy in it while Kamek had been fought in Bowser’s castle. 

Bowser had some minions repair the airship, Iggy having helped instruct them as they did so. 

Junior shook his head and glanced around the room, exploring every inch to see if the safe was somehow hidden inside. 

Getting frustrated, Junior frowned as he crossed his arms, looking around. 

He spotted what looked like an open vent on the wall beside the control panels, the vent cover having fallen to the ground, the screws having rusted off from old age. 

It made sense, since nobody had been in the castle long enough to do some proper repairs on the first floor, the entirety of the second floor having been spared from any damage. 

It was a mystery how the castle was still standing, but it was sturdy enough for the two Koopalings to be living in the second floor living quarters. 

There were even some pits and large gaping holes in the walls and floors, allowing them to look outside, the castle slowly falling apart. It gave them an advantage, since there were some strong gusts of wind that had nearly blown the Mario brothers out of the castle. This would lead the two to fall all the way down to the ground, but they had somehow managed to make it all the way to the castle’s battle tower to fight Ludwig.

Junior shook his head again, having gotten distracted with his thoughts. 

The youngest Koopaling smiled as he dashed over, climbing up onto the control panel and attempting to climb into the vent, wanting to see where it led.