✨nine✨

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes"

After the awkward stage between the three of them passed, Brynn had gotten them talking about their family, setting them perfectly in her trap to find out about the mills

"So, Zachariah Salvatore was your nephew?"

"Well, our father knocked up one of the maids during the Civil War, she had a son. But as far as everyone else knew, Stefan and I were dead. Family name had to go somewhere." Damon explained.

Bingo. Perfect opening. "And your family-owned the logging mills back then?"

Damon cocks his head to the side, staring at the blonde in suspicion. He wanted to believe the girls intentions were pure, but even though she has changed, she hasn't changed that much.

"You're full of questions tonight, aren't you Brynny?"

Brynn winces at the nickname. She recalled Damon calling her that a few times back in the day, but the name never stuck. Apparently, it decided to make a comeback.

"I'm just trying to get to know my surroundings. Even though I grew up here, it has changed. A lot."

"You don't have to disguise your true motives, Brynny. I know that you missed me, all of those years apart must've made a hole in your heart."

She scoffs, waving a hand in the air as if to dismiss everything Damon had said.

"Simply passing time. And if I had missed anyone, it would've been Stefan. At least he was someone I considered a friend."

Stefan raises his glass, clinking it with Brynn's beer.

Although Damon knew she was joking, he couldn't help but feel a little. . . Hurt. He knew that they weren't buddy-buddy back then, but he had assumed they were friends.

Sure, he knew she had spent most of her time with Stefan, teaching him how to control his urges and to snatch, eat, and erase, but her and him had a . . . Night together that was very hard to forget, even if Damon was under Katherines spell.

Brynn would always hold a piece in his heart, even if he was "with" Katherine at the time.

The three of them sit there for a moment, a thousand memories and moments between them suddenly feel like coming to the surface.

"Remember the time when we all played football in the gardens?" Stefan asks, he himself imaging Brynn in her huge puffy dress, struggling to run away from the brothers with the ball.

"Yeah," Damon says. "Katherine was off screwing somebody over and Brynn here didn't want to join. You remember that, Brynny?" The teasing in his voice was unbearable.