ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕚𝕩𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

Lucian smiled at me from across the table and I raised my eyebrows. The last time I saw him, I was in his lap. That image continued to replay in my mind, and my entire body used every bit of blood I had to heat up.

After Naomi and I got back from the mall, he was already waiting by my front door, like Kyler had called him. Naomi took one look at him, then at me, and told me I needed to get on that so she could live through me. She also said something about how he had to have been packing, where I only stared at her like she was insane before getting out of the car.

"So," Lucian said, "what changed your mind?"

"Kyler," I said honestly.

"You two definitely hit it off," he murmured. "I didn't see that coming at all. Although I'm thankful to him for that."

Truthfully, Kyler didn't say much. He just said they still needed me. If it had been Lucian, I might have said the same thing.

I felt bad for storming out of the pack house. I just had this uncontrollable surge of anger at the way they treated each other that I couldn't stand being there with them anymore.

I didn't want to help the pack, either. I wanted to help a man that needed my help, regardless of what I was and what he was. My being peeved about the pack he was in didn't negate the fact that he was in deep shit.

"Jealous," I teased.

He puffed out a laugh. "Yeah, kind of. You're still on edge around me."

"You're an alpha." I shrugged. "Anything at the top got there for a reason."

"Would you rather be on top?"

The question made me choke on my spit, and I turned my face away from him, congratulating myself on a job well done with the whole playing it cool thing. He kept catching me off guard, throwing innuendos out at me. I never expected them, which made my reactions all the more genuine.

When I looked back at him, his pupils were slightly expanded, but a tilt of his lips told me he was amused.

"Listen," I waved my hand, trying to wipe away my embarrassment, "I'm literally at the absolute rock bottom of the vampire food chain. So much so, that I don't even need to be claimed by a master."

His eyebrow raised and the small smile on his face grew slightly.

"Say something about masters and I'll break your nose," I threatened. "Kieran scares the shit out of me too. It's not just you."

"I wouldn't hurt you," he said. "I'm the last person you need to worry about harming you...besides Kyler."

"That doesn't matter to me," I said. "What matters is that regardless of where I am, I am the lowest ranked person in the room. Unless we gathered all the necromancers in the United States together, I will never be the best. Being around the best of any group intimidates me. I'm sorry."

He watched me, listening to every word I said like he would be tested on it later.

"What if you gathered all the necromancers together?" Of course he'd ask that.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. "I'd be the strongest. But none of them see me as one of them either. I have a head up on all of them. I can continue to raise the dead as long as I have a steady blood supply. They have to take a break after one to get a blood transfusion, and most of the time, their bodies don't heal from their wounds. I just have to drink some blood and I can continue raising the dead, without worrying about my skin scarring."

I met two other necromancers once, back when I had just graduated high school. They came into the area because they knew another necromancer lived there, and they wanted to see what I was all about.

I was trying to show off, of course. Because why wouldn't I? I wanted to be better than them. So I raised three people from their graves, then drank blood afterwards to replenish myself.

They looked at me like I was a monster as my skin healed and the color came back into my face like I hadn't just raised people from their graves minutes prior.

News of what I was traveled throughout the remaining necromancers in the United States, and they shut me out like I wasn't worthy of being called a necromancer.

Neither side of what I was wanted me. My mom - who had necromancy running through her family line, but somehow all of her necromancy powers transferred to me when I was born - told me it wasn't anything I did. They just couldn't understand.

Until this day, they still did not understand.

Lucian reached out and grabbed my hand. "It's okay. What you are is okay. The weirdest part about you has to be your damn personality. You don't have to worry about me. I'm putting my trust in you. You can put your trust in me."

I looked at our hands, his completely covering mine on the table. The warmth from his skin moved up my arm and I almost drew my hand away. But I didn't. I just continued to look at the contrast of his naturally tanned skin against my pale shade.

And I always thought vampires and wereanimals couldn't coexist. Since starting this whole circus with Lucian and Kieran, I noticed that I hadn't been right at all. There were people who hated other races, but for the most part, they were either friendly or at least acted cordial.

"So," he grinned, "you never answered my question."

I thought back to the last bits of our conversation, trying to figure out where he'd asked a question that I didn't already answer.

"I don't know what you mean," I said, genuinely confused.

His fingers curled around my hand, tightening enough so that it would hold me in place if I tried to pull away.

He leaned forward. "Whether you'd prefer to be on top."