ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕪 𝕊𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟

Why Lucian and Kyler felt the need to come with me to the morgue, I didn't know. It took a lot of convincing to get them to stay in the car when we got there. They weren't allowed into the morgue after hours, and that was the only argument that got through, mixed with my telling them that a morgue is full of dead people…that I could raise.

I was safer in a room full of dead people, surrounded by living people who wanted me dead, than I was in the car with them.

They didn't need to hear that though.

Chief Bard was standing right inside the doors, and he opened them when I neared. He handed me a badge - for what reason, I didn't know. It was just me, him, and one of his officers going to meet the owner of the morgue.

"You're walking a little strange." He led me down the dimly lit hallway, a younger officer on our heels. "Everything okay?"

"Peachy," I said. "I got into a little wrestling match with a puppy that lasted longer than I expected."

"Aw," the other officer said. I glanced at his name tag. O'Riely. "I love dogs. When did you get him?"

I had to keep from laughing. "I seemed to fully aquire him yesterday."

O'Riely smiled like I was actually talking about a whole ass dog. I wondered if I should ask Lucian to shift into wolf form and jump out of the car so that they could "meet" him.

I'd hold that in for a rainy day.

We took an overly sanitized elevator to the basement, where the freezers were located. I followed them down the hallway, and O'Riely pressed closer to me.

"I don't like dead people," he admitted.

I raised my eyebrows and shot a look at Bard. "Does he know what we're about to do?"

"Partially," he said, and I heard the grin in his voice when he said it.

The poor officer had no idea what I was, did he?

I looked at officer O'Riely, taking in his appearance. Even though he was in uniform, he seemed just old enough to be able to put it on and call himself an officer.

"Do you know what I'm doing here," I asked out of morbid curiosity.

He smiled. "Of course. You're a private investigator."

Oh, my sweet summer child. He was in for a treat.

Bard puffed a laugh through his nose, but covered it with a cough. O'Riely didn't seem to notice, which made it all the more depressing for him.

When we stepped into the room, my eyes fell on none other than Mateo. His smirk came slowly, taking me in as I did to him.

So he was the owner of the morgue. That was interesting. If I would have known that, I would have said that I couldn't go and to get another necromancer from out of state to come in. But I could use the money, and I hopefully wasn't going to be there for long.

"Good evening, Nova." Mateo moved around one of the tables. There were three autopsy tables lined up, and I could tell that one definitely did not have a head.

"Mateo," I replied.

Bard looked between the two of us. "So we know each other already. That's great! Mateo, did detective Goodwin arrive yet?"

"She's in the bathroom," Mateo said. "She should be back any minute."

Normally, it would have only been one officer with him. I had a feeling the reason he brought in another was because of the new officer standing beside me like the dead bodies were going to come to life if he blinked.

Poor guy.

When Goodwin came in, she smiled at both the chief and the other officer. When her eyes landed on me, her smile fell.

She knew what I did. She came to a few of my previous raisings, and I guessed she decided she didn't particularly care for me.

That was okay. I didn't particularly care for her either, or her methods. She didn't know what hard work and dedication was. All she knew was how to keep her knees from hurting when she sucked off higher ups to get to the position she was in now.

Mateo uncovered the first full body, and we all stepped up to it. O'Riely stayed a few feet back, crossing his arms and putting on a pretty good cop face.

It would be interesting to see if he could keep that expression.

I took a knife from a tray and cut my hand, then placed it over top of the dead woman's heart.

I closed my eyes. "Resurgemus. Vivet. Respirare."

Blood was pulled from my body into hers, but it wasn't as bad as it had been in the graveyard. For one, she was newly deceased. For another, I didn't have to physically pull her from the ground.

Her eyes opened slowly and I raised her to a seated position.

"What," O'Riely mumbled, "the…fuck?"

Then he promptly fainted.

Two for two.

Bard and Goodwin merely glanced at him when he landed to make sure he didn't break anything, then looked back to the victim and witness.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like she remembered much. The person that kept her was a vampire, for sure. But it didn't smell like any vampire she'd encountered before. Like maybe he was from out of town, because she knew the scent of all the master vampires in the state. When she was asked if maybe she was kept out of state, she said no because she remembered the drive didn't take long from her pack's hideout. She was blindfolded the entire time.

I put her to rest when they got her answers, and promptly cut another rune into my hand for the second, and last, body I'd have to raise for the night.

She rubbed her eyes as she sat up, then she looked at everyone in turn. Mateo, Bard, O'Riely on the floor - which she laughed at - and Goodwin. When her eyes found me though, her smile from seeing O'Riely passed out faded. She took me in, my eyes, my nose, my mouth, and the blood on my hand before her eyes shot back up to mine.

And she screamed.