5 | Air Walkers

Chapter 5

Air Walkers

Episode 17: The Northern Air Temple

"So travellers the next time you think you hear a large strange bird talking, take a closer look, it may not be a giant parrot but a flying man." The storyteller tells the small group sitting around a campfire listening intently. "A member of a secret group of air walkers, who laugh at gravity and laugh at those bound to the earth by it."

Aang, who has had a smile on his face throughout the whole story, turns to the rest of us, "Aren't air bender stories the best?"

"Was it realistic? Was that how it was back then?" Katara asks whilst Sokka sits beside me uninterested.

"I laugh at gravity all the time, haha gravity," Aang responds laughing to himself.

"Jingle jingle," The storyteller says after approaching Sokka and holding out his hat. Sokka feels around for some money but can't seem to find any and gives the man an innocent look, the man turns to me and I frown guiltily at him. The man shakes his head to himself and walks away, "Cheapskates," He grumbles as he goes. Aang runs after him and the two start talking. I don't hear what they are saying but a strange look takes over Aang's face and suddenly he is insisting we had to go.

**

"Hey we're almost to the northern air temple, this is where they had the championships from sky bison polo," Aang tells us. Katara moves to sit next to Sokka who is busy carving something. I don't really pay attention to what they were saying I'm far too busy bouncing in my seat, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the air temple looked like, I couldn't look away from the clouds, expecting it to show itself at any second.

"Hey, look at this," Aang announces as I spot the temple. It's breathtaking. It was at the top of a mountain and has amazing white towers reaching as high as you could see and a blanket of snow resting on the building and the mountain it sat on.

Then I catch sight of something just as breathtaking, "Oh, my spirits this is amazing!"

"There really are air benders!" Katara says shocked as we all look out at the people soaring above and around us.

"No, they're not."

"What d'you mean they're not? Those guys are flying," Sokka argues, pointing up to the people circling the temple.

"Gliding maybe but not flying. You can tell by the way they move. They're not air-bending. Those people have no spirit." Aang tells us. Just then someone glides over us laughing.

"I dunno Aang, that kid seems pretty spirited," Katara says, smiling and pointing to the boy above us. Then Aang jumps into the air with his glider and joins the people in the sky.