23| The Tale of Tenshi

Chapter 23

The Tale of Tenshi

Ep 34: Tales of Ba Sing Se

I'd been sat on the monorail system for a long while now, most of the morning in fact

I'd been sat on the monorail system for a long while now, most of the morning in fact. I'd told the others I'd gone to explore, I told Sokka the truth. That I was going to the fields in the first ring. That I was going to investigate my past, like we talked about well before we reached Ba Sing Se.

When the monorail system slows to a stop, I step out, wandering into the empty fields. It was farm land technically but I'd learned that the man who cares for this area in particular was not fond of working Sundays, I'd also learned he had no helpers around on a Sunday either. What a perfect thing to overhear on a Sunday morning. 

 I walked for a short while, there was no one around but somehow I still felt watched. For a moment I worried that the Dai Li had followed me all this way but unlike in the palace, there was no where for them to hide in a big open field. Even if they had followed me, they'd need to keep there distance for me not to spot them. Quite a distance actually. I stop and look back over the land I've travelled, you can truly see for miles here. 

I've surpassed the farm land now. It feels like a breath of fresh air to be surrounded by long grass, waving in the wind and the colourful decoration of the occasional wildflower. I stop beneath a tree, letting the branches shade me from the raging sun. 

In my bag sat a letter and two scrolls, all of which I was too scared to open. I had sent a letter to the north pole the night of my particularly hot nightmare. I still hadn't figured out how to get rid of those sheets without telling everyone what had happened. I didn't even know what had happened. Well, I had an idea but I didn't want to assume anything. Especially not this. 

I crossed my legs and closed my eyes. Taking a deep breath. 

Breath in. Breath out. 

In. Out.

In. Out.

I thought back to the night of the nightmare and the burnt sheets. I thought back to the memories, what lead up to that moment, and what happened after. 

For a long time, I got no where, drawing up completely blank. 

In. Out.

In. Out.

The feeling of the heat from the fire returns. It's almost like I am there all over again. Experiencing it for the first time.

The fire is small at first. It is controlled. It is... Beautiful.

It's a small wall. Just blocking my view of the man commanding me behind the flames. "Bigger, Shinigami. Stronger." I focus in on the feeling. 

In. Out.