20 | Hope

Chapter 20

Hope

Ep 31: The serpents pass

"I'm coming too!" Is the first thing I hear as I approach the scene

"I'm coming too!" Is the first thing I hear as I approach the scene. Kun and I had lost sight of team Avatar only found them after Suki ran past us shouting those exact words.

Sokka turns around, "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Sokka, I thought you'd want me to come."

"I do, it's just-"

"-Just what?"

"Nothing I'm glad you're coming."

I slow down from running as I get closer, "Think you can make space for two extra?" I ask, gaining the attention of the rest of the group as I walk over with Kun at my side.

Sokka's face breaks into a smile, "Tenshi!" He says as he hugs me. I chuckle as I hug him back.

"It's barely been a day, Sokka," I tell him with a smile. I then move away from him and to the others. As I do, I catch a strange look of realization on Suki's face as she looks from me to Sokka to Kun. I don't think too much of it before I move to say hello to the others. Once that is done with we head out to find a different route to Ba Sing Se.

"This is the Serpent's Pass?" Sokka questions as we approach the pass. "I thought it would be more wind-y. Ya know, like a serpent. Hm, guess they miss named it."

"Look at this writing." Ying, one of the refugees the group had decided to help, says, "How awful." I look over at the signs the pregnant woman is looking at.

"What does it say?" Katara asks

"It says, "Abandon Hope"." 

Ying puts her head in her hands as her husband, Than, comforts her, "How could we abandon hope? That's all we have."

"I dunno. The monks used to say that hope is just a distraction. So maybe we do have to abandon it." Aang says, looking off into the distance.

I glance at Sokka, asking with my eyes what happened, "Appa was stolen." He whispers to me. I nod my head glancing at the boy in front of me. I had noticed Appa wasn't there, of course I had, it's kind of hard to miss. I had opted for not questioning it though in hopes that there was a simple and easy explanation. I'm not certain where this optimistic view came from but here it is already failing me.