9 | Nightmares

Chapter 9

Nightmares

Episode 21: The Avatar State

This is the third night I have got nightmares now, not in a row but three times in five days still isn't great. This time I am staring out into the sea crashing down against itself when Aang joins me.

"What you doing up? You look exhausted," I say in a very motherly tone, I think Katara is rubbing off on me. "Is it the nightmares again?" I ask him, he simply looks out to the sea and I know I have the right answer. "I'm always here if you want to talk, you know that right?"

"Yeah, I just need a moment." I nod and start walking away but not before giving him a light squeeze on the shoulder. As I am about to leave the deck I spot Katara approaching and give her a soft smile before leaving entirely. I can only just hear the faint sound of them talking as I walk closer to my bed. 

Once finally there, I can't seem to bring myself to close my eyes. I can't bear seeing the nightmares again. "You keep offering an ear to Aang but you should know that the same offer still stands for you." I hear a voice call, a voice I can't seem to stop longing to hear, a voice that I recognize instantly. 

"I'm fine, Sokka, honestly."

"I don't believe that. You keep getting nightmares and you won't tell anyone about them."

"I've only had one." Liar my brain shouts at me

But Sokka already knows that. "Three actually. Just because I didn't ask about it doesn't mean I don't know."

I let out a sigh and climb out of bed and wordlessly sit at the end of Sokka's where he sits and watches me expectantly. I settle in before opening my mouth to speak, "I don't talk about it because I don't understand it." I tell him when he just sits and stares, I continue, "They don't seem like a memory, they're not like my dreams before, showing me glimpses of my past. It's just me, alone, surrounded by destruction. And it always seems to want to kill me." I finish what I am saying looking down at the blanket beneath me, picking at the loose threads in an attempt to avoid eye contact.

"Do you feel better? Having told someone?" That's not what I expected. 

The weight lifted from my shoulders forces me to nod, "A bit." Sokka sits in silence for a moment and then looks back up at me.

"Is there any more that you wanna talk about?" I look back up at him and meet his eyes. How can he tell that there was more? Can he read me that well? Or am I just easy to read? 

My eyes start to water and I bite my lip as I feel it start to wobble, "I'm scared, Sokka." At the sound of my voice breaking his eyes soften and he hesitantly opens his arms into a hug which I gladly accept and wrap my arms around him. "I'm scared, I don't know anything about what I've done in my past. I think I hurt people, Sokka." I bury my face in his shoulder, he doesn't seem to mind his shoulder becoming slightly damp with my tears or the little shaking of my shoulders or that I find myself starting to drift to sleep in his arms.